Geographic Technician information

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by yesdear, Nov 5, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What are the day-to-day duties of this trade after training?

I've searched the forum and the sparse comments regarding the above trade are split three ways; not re, geo boys are good and something to do with centrefolds.

Looking at the army website, a short video clip has a couple of guys sitting in a van doing interesting things with computers. The loudest noise is a printer.

I'm joining the army to do at least a bit of running around and some thrills before I'm too old for it and want some bangs and whatnot. Common sense says, at 28 too old to appreciate the infantry lifestyle. Ammo tech is an availible option with the opportunity to do some fun stuff once a person has made sufficient bones. The discussions here regarding that trade make it sound like a good option?

Is anyone in the Geographic Technician trade or with exposure able to enlighten me with some better information as I've got to choose 3 jobs to present on Friday to arrange for visits.

2. They do some very interesting stuff with computers and maps, they will probally use IT kit for about 90% of their job. They also have some very good postings around the world. You'll also be able to qualify for Diplomas and a Foundation Science Degree just for completion of your trade. And if you take it further, you may be able to obtain a Bachelors Degree with Honours.

Ask your careers office to book you on a Geo aptitude test (tel:01635204430). It's done down at the survey school in Hermitage and lasts 5 days.

As well as being a Geo Tech you'll also be a Combat Engineer, so you'll be "doing fun stuff" as well i.e. Mine warfare, Demolitions etc etc.

Only the Royal Engineers will be able to give you all that. Good luck.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. I only came across Geo Techs twice during my time in the Corps. The first time was in the old Brit HQ in Banja Luka in the mid-90s when I had to collect some maps and charts. They lived in a little cubby hole and the bloke who dealt with me bitched at length about not getting out on the ground at all. The second time was when a couple of them supported an EOD op I was involved in - something I would guess a lot of people don't know that they do.

It used to be the case that they were the only trade who were exempt having to do the Class 1 Combat Engineer course to get above full screw. Don't know if that's still the case.
  4. Been out of the Geo Regt for 2 years now so info may be out of date but it had a high turnover of blokes and was very understrength.

The 3 trades had been combined into one and was more computer faced than previously with the trades being separate (printer, surveyor, comp tech)

The chance to do any Combat Engineering is very limited if any due to too many comitments on their primary trade. (there were some SNCO's in the Regt that had not even done a Class 3 knocker course)
  5. I'm booked to do the Geographic Support Technician aptitude test in a few weeks down at Hermitage and would like to know if anybody could enlighten me on what the aptitude test include. I would like to prepare for it.
  6. Maths, English and current affairs. I would also do some research about what the trade entails, postings tec.
  7. thanks for the reply
  8. I dont recall seeing one in 8 years apart from basic.
  9. Depends where you work. We had two on my cadre. One was flipping awesome and got awarded an MBE a couple of years ago. The other was about as much use as a handbrake on a canoe. Other than that, I've only ever seen them on ops or an exercise at Brigade level.