Geoffrey Wellum DFC

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
he trained just up the road from me at Little Rissington
I read his book a few times, the chapter about night flying made me realise just how difficult it was, and the local church proves testament to that with its rows of white headstones

Aye to quote Richard Burtons line in The Longest Day. "the problem with being one of the few is that we keep getting fewer"

That generations nonchalant attitude to what they did will always confound me. Brave men and women everyone of them.

Met him once - he signed a piccie for the Mess.

RIP

Aye to quote Richard Burtons line in The Longest Day. "the problem with being one of the few is that we keep getting fewer"

That generations nonchalant attitude to what they did will always confound me. Brave men and women everyone of them.
When you read the book you also realise the enormous cost that that "nonchalant attitude" cost them. He was the youngest BoB pilot at 17, he told them he was 18. The strain of what he went through came back in spades when he was sent to Malta; all of which he honestly told in his book.

Another of that mighty generation gone. RIP.

His brutal honesty and humour was refreshing. The description of the lancing of the abscess up his nose whilst still flying from Malta brought tears to my eyes.

I read his book many years ago and his experiences were remarkable for someone at such a young age. In a society when the word "hero" is now so vastly over-used, he truly was a hero in every sense of the word.

RIP Sir.

Read "First Light" a few years ago , sad to read of his passing, yet another of the few moved on , as he was one of the very youngest there can't be many of them left

As rampant mentioned Wing Cmdr Tom Neil passed on earlier in the month and in his Obit they said (DT) he was one of the last two aces of the battle of britain, so Geoffrey is probably the last both interestingly went onto serve in Malta.
That said they were still finding First War veterans after Harry Patch and Allingham passed away and pundits were saying they were the last!

He used to live a couple of doors down from me, known him all my life. Will be sadly missed by all in Mullion, he did loads for the community.

I hope there was a rum & shrub waiting for him up there.

A life well lived, RIP

Wrote a very fine book about his WW2 life and it must have been one of the first books I read (by a pilot) which made me realize that aerial combat wasn't such "good stuff, tally ho" in the grizzly light of day.
R.I.P. sir.