Geocaching

Discussion in 'Sports, Adventure Training and Events' started by skids, Jan 30, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anybody tried it? Looks like something that will encourage my kids to get out walking with me. GPS recomendations? Been looking at some old magellans on ebay just to get started.

2. Letterboxing on Dartmoor is the original and best.

• Like Like x 2
  3. have a couple of mates who are totally obsessed to the point of making it their mission to find every single one within about 50 miles of each posting - the caches can be in the weirdest of places too. Give it a go if it will get the kinder more active - just take a pocket full of random bits and pieces to replace whatever you take or surreptitiously add to keep the little ones happy if you find the cache has been left empty or nicked.

4. HHH

HHH LE

Have a look at this thread, it might of use to you;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/sports-adventure-training-events/107946-geocaching.html

Edited to add futher link;

There might be some useful stuff in this link as well;

http://www.arrse.co.uk/sports-adventure-training-events/102930-mapping-gps-web-2.html

5. Most smartphones not only have gps built in but quite often have free geocaching apps available that make adding caches and following instructions from the cache sites much easier...

6. Is that like cottaging with boots on?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. I sent my Garmin 60CSx mapping GPs to whoever it is that does the auctions on here for H4H, just before Christmas. I havent seen it get auctioned yet, so you might get it at a knock down price.

8. I think it may be some form of dogging.

9. Its a good call for getting the kids out, we've had some good bike rides, good walks, treasure hunts etc. I get a ''bit paranoid'' snooping around the bushes in parks and wasteland when there are 'mugglers' about and usually wait in the car but some of the remoter ones are good, some pretty tricky ones, some fancy engineering and they also take you to places you may not have been.

I think its pretty good, a big treasure hunt.

Of course I enjoy beer, birds, football, cricket and fishing too.

• Like Like x 4
  10. Been having a go at it now over past couple of weeks off. Only done 6 local ones but dragged the Mrs out on it today. She was amazed we had a few within walking distance of home and has now got the bug (pardon the pun). Enjoying it so far.

• Like Like x 2
  11. We did a series of 6 one day out in the country a few weeks ago, we were about 2 hours behind another group all the way around, once all 6 had been done there was a puzzle to get number 7 - we signed no. 7 first!

Get in.

Are you in the UK, my Father In Law is big into it over there!

12. Yes, I am in North Wales. I think it is something that I will get into. I am a truck driver so get around the country a bit, it will give me an excuse to get out of the truck for a bimble.

13. Good app for iPhone ref. Geocaching and gives you an excuse to do one when dragged out shopping by the long-haired general rather than lie that the dress she is trying on actually shrinks her ass 2 dress sizes!

Other lesser phones to iPhone are available.

14. There is micro in our local sainsburys in 1 of the trolley parks, took me 3 visits to find it lol

15. CountryGal

CountryGal LE Book Reviewer

We found 3 today, the little one only 6 loved it - he acually found the 2nd one before we did. Very fun and the iphone app is only £6.99 so a bargain for so many days out for just the inital layout.
    Also as dog walkers, cant beleive how many there are on our local walking routes too