Geo-tech selection

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by brownman, Mar 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have applied for Geographic technician and I have selection coming up in April and I wondered if anyone had any advice for preparation?

So far I've been brushing up on map reading, maths and presentation skills. It's a five day selection so I'm expecting a lot of work and tough competition from other applicants. Any feedback from people in the know would be appreciated.

Thanks

2. How are you at painting Warhammer 40k figures?

3. thanks for your input

4. You're welcome. Thanks for using the search function up top.

5. Oooooo, I was good at painting warhammer 40k figures! I'm going to be wasted as an ammo tech aren't I PA? ;P

6. I have used the search function but unfortunately some threads are pretty old and I was hoping for some up to date info if possible

7. And your army careers advisor has no input in this?!?!

8. Yes of course they do but I am very keen to secure the job so the more preparation the better! Surely you would understand having passed selection recently... but perhaps I am asking the wrong people

9. I managed to find all the information I needed by speaking to the careers advisors and reading what I could find online... Then again there is a lot more ammo tech related information than geo tech, geo tech is a bit more... individual.

10. Having Been a civi for quite a while now,can someone enlighten me, is Geo-Tech a new souped up name for the old cartographic surveyor type, ie 42 Survey in the old days?

11. Yeah. It's still 42 RE, at Hermitage. If anyone's at Hermitage can they let me know if Rupert has been replaced by Tony as CO yet, please?

12. Brownman,

It sounds to me like you are on the right lines with your preparation. I'm sure that your recruiting office will have steered you in the right direction. You are not going to be expected to know everything but certainly pre-assessment prep is a very good idea.

Focus revision on:

Maths
    English
    Map reading and different types of mapping, air photography etc
    IT Skills - Excel, Word, Power Point etc
    Presentation skills - Pick a subject that interests you not want you think they want to hear.
    Confidence without being cocky will also help.

Hope this helps and good luck with the assessment.

13. RE Cypher

Thanks for your post :)