Geo Tech Info

Discussion in 'Sappers' started by thebatoneffect, Mar 25, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for any info on the Geo tech roles.
    Im graduating soon with GIS qualifications and experience too. I want to know if there is a need for anyone with programming skills. Does anyone have any info on the Masters the Geo guys do: "Master of Science degree in Defence Geographic Information"

^^ Those are the guys Im interested in.
    • Like Like x 1
  2. why? Don't you wanna be a real engineer??

Enjoy the AGC!!

All pi55 taking aside i'll ask for you, but the lads an OR not officer however i could use your help for GSI programming!!

The Geo boys do open days, get along to one. Might discover you might wanna join the Corps and go Surveyor (all our kit now is GSI coded)
  3. cooooooo-eeeeeeeeeee chase me. 8O 8O 8O 8O

4. I spent a few years with DIS/DGIA, in Feltham, but also some time down in Hermitage at the defence college of Intelligence (or whatever it's called now?)

Your skills may be better used working for DIS/DGIA/DGC Feltham, as a civil servant?

There is also scope to go to RAF Brampton to work with JARIC, and also on the ground in Afghan/Iraq.

Do some Googling, or feel free to PM me some questions that are non-sensitive.
  5. sent you a PM
  6. If you want to join as an OR you'll be one of a few with a degree, however your programming experience won't be utilised until you are at least a full corporal and not properly until you get to SSgt/Warrant Officer!!
    If you are after a commission you will need to be a Capt minimum and this is where you will get to attend what used to be the Army Survey Course (the name has just changed!!) to gain an MSc.
    Civil servants however (barring the present recruitment ban!!) may be employed in your programming field more easily but I reckon there's more money to be made in Civ Div to be honest.
    Good luck.
  7. What does a geotech actually do, ex fld survey
  8. What were the five trades (+ combat surveyor) are now all rolled into one, meaning that where we used to be good at one trade we are now not good at any of them now!! Spec quals are being introduced such as Fld Svy and print so you can see where it's all going.
    Anyone who's been out for about 8-10 years would not recognise the trade(s) now.

Who are you anyway - PM?
  9. geo's doing field survey?? hoping you don't mean construction setting out?? Surely you boys can't remember what railway formwork is anymore!!
  10. No it's still the same as it ever was, proving the earth is round.
    The flavour of the month is to plot the runways of the world to ensure they are pointing were they say they are!!