Gentlemen, start your engines!

12345dave

Clanker
Evening all.
I was watching a video the other day on Youtube about trying to start a Chieftan that had been standing in a field for quite some time. They tried to bump start/tow start using the "emergency gear" which was news to me...
So, can I ask a question to further my edumacation a little?
If you jump into your Chieftan (or probably Challenger) I assume that you either press a button or turn a key and the BFO engine starts to enable you to advance to the Russian hordes (or run away a little bit, if required)
What happens when that fails? What are the other options available to enhance the survivabilty of your MBT? How else can they be started if you have (for example) flat batteries, or a stuck starter motor?
Cheers guys.

for flat batteries use the BFO jump lead that comes with every Chieftain

For a duff main engine electrical starter fire up the aux gen and then use the main engine hydraulic starter that the aux gen also powers.

what she said.

in theory you could tow start a Chiefy or a chally but I never saw it happen. Did it on Warrior often enough

Are you from Liverpool?

I tow started a Centurion a few times.

And we used to send new members of the troop who were fresh out of training to the stores to get a starting handle when some cunt left the master switch on all night. The QM had a ******* huge locomotive spanner which was almost a 2 man lift available for such occasions.

for flat batteries use the BFO jump lead that comes with every Chieftain

For a duff main engine electrical starter fire up the aux gen and then use the main engine hydraulic starter that the aux gen also powers.

I've given you an "informative", but I managed to get home on the corporation bus tonight. Thanks anyway.

Slave lead was used on Cents if batts flat .ie hitch up to vehicle with engine running,eg. Champ,Ferret,another Cent,start your aux gen using other vehicle's power,from there,start your own main engine.Oh,someone has already mentioned it.

Latest Threads