Gentle Reminder - if needed - Vote for Tommy Atkins

Referring to the Phantom's post on 9 November, the closing date for voting for Tommy Atkins in the Great Britons Awards is 24 November.
The link is: www.greatbritons.org
Voting is simple, even I did it!
Let's have a real hero this year not a popstar or footballer.

Much though I applaud the thought, a vote for Tommy Atkins will be disqualified.

[url=http://www.greatbritons.org/The_awards/The_awards/Criteria_and_Judging/]http://www.greatbritons.org/The_awards/The_awards/Criteria_and_Judging/[/url] said:
In order for candidates to be considered by the judges they must:
1. hold a British passport;
2. be a specific living individual
3. have played a significant role in one of the categories: Arts, Business, Campaigning, Creative Industries, Public Life, Science & Innovation and Sport;
4. have shown distinctively British characteristics in delivering their successful achievement; and
5. have completed the achievement in 2006, or made a significant contribution to their field of work in the year.
If you're going to vote for a military figure, pick an individual, Gen Dannett, maybe.

PB

Everyone I know has voted for Tommy! he must get mentioned in despatches at least!

BTW - I hear a "rumour" that they have had masses of votes for Tommy and are having second thoughts about their criteria. Almost certainly if enough people continue to vote .... or phone this could be swung round .......

Bad CO said:
BTW - I hear a "rumour" that they have had masses of votes for Tommy and are having second thoughts about their criteria. Almost certainly if enough people continue to vote .... or phone this could be swung round .......
Damn, you mean that we may be living in a democracy after all.

I've just voted, here's what I said:

For his courage, stoicism, professionalism and dedication to his duty, loyalty to his friends, Service and his country. For his utter selflessness and for his example to us all of something in modern Britain that is still unquestionably "world class" and to be unreservedly admired.
Not great I know and I'm pretty sure they'll disqualify this nomination but what the hell! :wink:

Jaeger said:
I've just voted, here's what I said:

For his courage, stoicism, professionalism and dedication to his duty, loyalty to his friends, Service and his country. For his utter selflessness and for his example to us all of something in modern Britain that is still unquestionably "world class" and to be unreservedly admired.
It says it all. Mind if we copy that? I am about to.

I voted for the British Tommy!

Living individual - there are thousands of us.

Name "Tommy atkins"

Role "Public Life"

Activity "Putting his life on the line for others for no personal gain. Sacrificing his family life for others, for no personal gain. Standing up and being counted. Choosing a hard life when we have it easy."

because he's a bloody fine bloke and has actually earned it...

Have you seen the list of nominations in the public life category?

Ray Lewis - Ran a community project for black kids in London. Who?
Torquil Norman - Renovated the Roundhouse venue. Who?
Andrew Morish - Ran a school in London. Who?
Sir Michael Marmot - Chair of a WHO commission. Who?
Sir Steve Redgrave - Sportsman. Should be in the sports category surely?
Sir Jonathon Porrit - Chairman of the Sustainable Development Commission. Who?
David Walliams - Comedian. Should be in the Arts category?
Sir Jonathon Miller - A scientist, physician, director, television presenter, writer, film-maker and, more recently, a sculptor. Arts category again?
James Reynolds - BBC Correspondent - Who?

Hardly an outstanding bunch are they?
You do wonder who they had to bribe to be nominated for a honour, or is it only politicians that take bribes?

Heres what I put....

For courage, professionalism, service, dedication and loyalty to his country, his family and his friends. For doing his duty, even when he thinks it unpleasant. For is selfless commitment. In a world full of takers he is a shining example of what it means to be not only a Great Briton, but a great human being.

good old Tommy..... wonder if he'll make it!