'Generation of Innovators appointed to run the military'

Her Majesty's Daily Telegraph is reporting that Sec of State has chosen some new VSOs who weren't necessarily seen as the front runners for the jobs (at least this time round).

Vice-Admiral Tony Radakin to be 1SL; AM Mike Wigston as CAS; Vice-Admiral Timothy Fraser to take over as VCDS, and Lt General Patrick Saunders as Commander JFC. As I've been DS to three of the four, I guess this is nature's way of telling me I'll be dead soon...

Last edited:

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Radakin and Fraser are great choices. The questions internally are now who is the next 2SL, were does Fleet Commander go (and who will replace him) and where will ACNS POL go. Lots of movement in the round.

Both the matelots are proof that nice people can be senior Officers.

And I welcome another RIFLES overlord.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ugly

LE
, were does Fleet Commander go (and who will replace him)
Fleet? We've got a fleet? Are you sure its not more akin to a car pool the way you fish heads moan about not enough tubs.

For a long time the Andrew has had more * Officers than targets.

He's better than Darth Carter

"I find your lack of diversity disappointing"

Wiggy has done well for himself; he will only have been a 3 Star for about a year when he gets his 4th as he takes over as CAS. Two years as ACAS briefing the Defence Secretary has paid off. Having worked for him, he is a nice guy and a good administrator but I am not sure he is much of an innovator.

Wiggy has done well for himself; he will only have been a 3 Star for about a year when he gets his 4th as he takes over as CAS. Two years as ACAS briefing the Defence Secretary has paid off. Having worked for him, he is a nice guy and a good administrator but I am not sure he is much of an innovator.
A certain aggressive and forceful Glaswegian will be VERY disappointed, I guess..........

A certain aggressive and forceful Glaswegian will be VERY disappointed, I guess..........
I don't know the "very aggressive and forceful Glaswegian" . . . I don't know any of them . . . but, from your description of the "very aggressive and forceful Glaswegian", I can say I will be very pleased that he will " . . be VERY disappointed".

He's been mentioned as a likely CAS for a while - which had just begun to translate into a suspicion that he might miss out, as he now has. Takes out a couple of other rumoured candidates as well... (and the same applies to Tony Radakin's appointment for the dark blue, I suspect).

I don't know the "very aggressive and forceful Glaswegian" . . . I don't know any of them . . . but, from your description of the "very aggressive and forceful Glaswegian", I can say I will be very pleased that he will " . . be VERY disappointed".
He's not that bad, although he can be a bit of an 'acquired taste' - all three services have had leaders who deserved to be seriously disappointed rather more than this chap does (and not all of them, sadly, ended up disappointed....)

Two years as ACAS briefing the Defence Secretary has paid off.
While it's good to see a Defence Secretary who clearly hasn't just accepted the 'it's his turn' system, I do hope this isn't an indication that the way to get promoted is solely to lick. As for being innovator's I'll wait the outcomes; sacking 50% of the VSO's, scrapping the regimental system and reorganising/re-equipping a smaller army to fight high intensity warfare not be neo-colonial policemen and I'll call him innovative. Ticking a couple of diversity boxes and moving the chairs around doesn't cut it for me.

While it's good to see a Defence Secretary who clearly hasn't just accepted the 'it's his turn' system, I do hope this isn't an indication that the way to get promoted is solely to lick. As for being innovator's I'll wait the outcomes; sacking 50% of the VSO's, scrapping the regimental system and reorganising/re-equipping a smaller army to fight high intensity warfare not be neo-colonial policemen and I'll call him innovative. Ticking a couple of diversity boxes and moving the chairs around doesn't cut it for me.
Someone has been reading TD....
The British Army - Transformation in an Age of Complexity - Think Defence

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

To go alongside the new Army Sergeant Major who is listed as former RIFLES.

Why 'former'? Does he move on to Staff in the same way as full colonels? I think they need to make it clear if he is an OR or officer, too much dilution of rank to work out which.

Mind you he is a fast mover, according to SOLDIER magazine he enlisted in 1997 and his last job was Field Army SM, so presumably he held an RSM appointment before that therefore 21 years service and two WO1 appointments before this one! Fast track indeed!

Her Majesty's Daily Telegraph is reporting that Sec of State has chosen some new VSOs who weren't necessarily seen as the front runners for the jobs (at least this time round).

Vice-Admiral Tony Radakin to be 1SL; AM Mike Wigston as CAS; Vice-Admiral Timothy Fraser to take over as VCDS, and Lt General Patrick Saunders as Commander JFC. As I've been DS to three of the four, I guess this is nature's way of telling me I'll be dead soon...
Don't worry - I'm sure Tropper will still call you a sprog :)

Latest Threads