Generation Kill

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Schaden, Feb 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

Generation Kill

Well worth catching either as the book or in the TV series.
  2. The actor who plays sergent Reyes is ex sergent Reyes
  3. The only thing I find very inaccurate is that they aren’t extremely, uncomfortably hot! I remember running around in my JSLIST (MOPP suit), it was a complete suck fest!
  4. Watched the show and enjoyed it, just bought the book which i'm starting shortly (£3.97 from asda in case anyone wants it cheap)
  5. Check out "one bullet away" by Nathanial Fick the platoon OC
  6. Got the complete series from a friend... bit slow to start but very addictive...
  7. Think I might have to pick up the book soon. Finished watching the series during my last set of days off & really loved it.

Anyone actually able to decipher the Sergeant Major's rather special way of speaking? I think don't think I ever managed to listen to an entire line of dialogue from the guy where I made out every word said! :p
  8. Cheers. will do that.
  9. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

What I disliked about the movie is its interpretation of the book. And I haven't read the book, so I am working on the belief that when they show the camels and kids getting shot by the SAW guy (later nicknamed BK/Junior Whopper) they showed them fairly close up so you could see they were unarmed where as the reality would have been sand in the eye bumpy rife targets glimpsed at a distance. The point making is the shooting almost def. would have been against likely enemy, the shooting in the movie looked like murder. This happened repeatedly and I had to explain to several civvie mates that what they saw was a interpretation of a book, not gospel.

What I liked about the movie (and therefore probably from the book) was the closing scene between the journo and the CO (God Father). The CO explains to the journo that everything is open to interpretation and that one view is not the whole picture. I think that conversation was considerably deeper than any other in the movie and should have been explained at the start in flash-forwards or some thing like that.

Yes HBO, I am ready to Direct your next war movie.
  10. It is very like the way some of the officers are portrayed. Although I have heard there were some issues I don't believe it was any where near as bad as it appeared in the series.

However what may appear incompetent to a Recon Marine may not have appeared incompetent to a civilian audience therefore they took it to extremes.
  11. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

true true buddy, as a general rule the casting for officers is always shite. the warriors and BoB was good, but then they had the same bloke for both!

Black hawk down and Gen Kill were terrible 'officers'.
  12. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Using the Sgt from SPR FFS!
  13. Anyone know if a 2nd series on the way,
    Or is this likely to be a one off?
  14. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Unless BO invades North Korea or Iran I suspect that's it for a while... :)