Generation Kill - HBO Series

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by brecon_billy, Jul 15, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Just started watching this new series. Initial thoughts are good and fairly faithful to the book by Evan Wright.

More info here

Generation Kill

Will be interesting to see how it develops

2. What channels that on and when? Saw a trailer on FX but not seen programme yet.

3. Downloaded it on bit torrent - Am probably going to make a purchase on DVD when it comes out. Much better than that "Over There" thing they showed a couple of years ago.

4. There's an article about it in this week's Shortlist magazine. Says it will be broadcast in the UK in the next few months but doesn't state which channel. Hopefully it will be on regular or freeview tv.

5. It's going to be on FX as they're showing the trailers for it.

6. Looks good - the book was a good read.

I'd still like to see something about the Brits though - a film version of Snper 1 or Dusty Warriors would be nice.

Rodney2q

7. Agreed. I would love to see them do a little mini series about British involvement in Basrah and Al-Amarah but I don't think the british media has the stomach or budget for it. When they do it normally focuses on human rights abuses ala "The Mark of Cain" etc.

It's almost like we are very deeply ashamed of our involvement in Iraq or at least thats the way that the media is making us feel.

It would be good to see them show how things really were for a change. Ordinary decent blokes trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

8. Was it just me, or did anyone else think Mark of Cain was a great big steaming pile of dog-turds? :evil:

I read Generation Kill a few years ago; not bad IIRC.

9. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Nothings really changed my mind of a bunch of out of control idiots with weapons. I came away from the book thinking that kill everything was their ROE and the TV series, all-be-it only episode one, does nothing to change that.

10. I was suprised at that, they are like a bunch of kids, armed to the teeth!!

11. Since the book and the TV series are designed to perpetuate that belief, it's no surprise that you were already inclined to believe it.

Generation Kill... hohoho.

12. I have watched up to Episode 3 so far and its been quite good and very faithful to the book.As for gung-ho-ness it shows more of the Regt Combat Teams as the trigger happy ones and the main Recce characters (except Thrombley and Capt America)as the more sensible soldiers.

13. it's a good watch i must admit, but it's like, no-one has died? and theres no women in the marines?!
    gonna download ep 4 tommorow
    does anyone else think capt. america looks like will ferrel?

14. According to a Rolling Stone magazine journalist.

Teenaged Marines in 2008 Iraq an obscure Vietnam era anti-war song?

No, don't think so.

The book and the show would only appeal to an anti-American element.