Generation Kill - HBO Series

jack-daniels said:
What channels that on and when? Saw a trailer on FX but not seen programme yet.
Downloaded it on bit torrent - Am probably going to make a purchase on DVD when it comes out. Much better than that "Over There" thing they showed a couple of years ago.

There's an article about it in this week's Shortlist magazine. Says it will be broadcast in the UK in the next few months but doesn't state which channel. Hopefully it will be on regular or freeview tv.

Looks good - the book was a good read.

I'd still like to see something about the Brits though - a film version of Snper 1 or Dusty Warriors would be nice.

Rodney2q

Rodney2q said:

I'd still like to see something about the Brits though - a film version of Snper 1 or Dusty Warriors would be nice.

Rodney2q
Agreed. I would love to see them do a little mini series about British involvement in Basrah and Al-Amarah but I don't think the british media has the stomach or budget for it. When they do it normally focuses on human rights abuses ala "The Mark of Cain" etc.

It's almost like we are very deeply ashamed of our involvement in Iraq or at least thats the way that the media is making us feel.

It would be good to see them show how things really were for a change. Ordinary decent blokes trying to make the best out of a bad situation.

brecon_billy said:
Rodney2q said:

Rodney2q
Agreed. I would love to see them do a little mini series about British involvement in Basrah and Al-Amarah but I don't think the british media has the stomach or budget for it. When they do it normally focuses on human rights abuses ala "The Mark of Cain" etc.

It's almost like we are very deeply ashamed of our involvement in Iraq or at least thats the way that the media is making us feel.

It would be good to see them show how things really were for a change. Ordinary decent blokes trying to make the best out of a bad situation.
Was it just me, or did anyone else think Mark of Cain was a great big steaming pile of dog-turds? :evil:

I read Generation Kill a few years ago; not bad IIRC.

Nothings really changed my mind of a bunch of out of control idiots with weapons. I came away from the book thinking that kill everything was their ROE and the TV series, all-be-it only episode one, does nothing to change that.

Ord_Sgt said:
Nothings really changed my mind of a bunch of out of control idiots with weapons.
I was suprised at that, they are like a bunch of kids, armed to the teeth!!

Ord_Sgt said:
Nothings really changed my mind of a bunch of out of control idiots with weapons. I came away from the book thinking that kill everything was their ROE and the TV series, all-be-it only episode one, does nothing to change that.
Since the book and the TV series are designed to perpetuate that belief, it's no surprise that you were already inclined to believe it.

Generation Kill... hohoho.

I have watched up to Episode 3 so far and its been quite good and very faithful to the book.As for gung-ho-ness it shows more of the Regt Combat Teams as the trigger happy ones and the main Recce characters (except Thrombley and Capt America)as the more sensible soldiers.

it's a good watch i must admit, but it's like, no-one has died? and theres no women in the marines?!
gonna download ep 4 tommorow
does anyone else think capt. america looks like will ferrel?

ZappBrannigan said:
I have watched up to Episode 3 so far and its been quite good and very faithful to the book.As for gung-ho-ness it shows more of the Regt Combat Teams as the trigger happy ones and the main Recce characters (except Thrombley and Capt America)as the more sensible soldiers.
According to a Rolling Stone magazine journalist.

Teenaged Marines in 2008 Iraq an obscure Vietnam era anti-war song?

No, don't think so.

The book and the show would only appeal to an anti-American element.

Just watched episode 4 its not a bad show , shows the higher command elements flaws .

You can get the episodes on eztv.it by using a torrent progamme bit torrent etc ...
there posted on the site straight after they air

ronnie12398 said:

No, don't think so.

Considering the TV show had several of the 1st Recon Marines advising for it and 2 if them actually playing themselves, you would be spouting a load of total b0llocks. Did you even read the book? Since when was it set in 2008? Yet another flag waiving American who thinks anything that doesn't show Mr. Bush personally shoving his foot up Saddam's arse as un-American.

I really enjoyed the book and the TV show is very good and faithful to the book too. Best depiction of Iraq so far.

Gremlin0790 said:
ronnie12398 said:

No, don't think so.

Considering the TV show had several of the 1st Recon Marines advising for it and 2 if them actually playing themselves, you would be spouting a load of total b0llocks. Did you even read the book? Since when was it set in 2008? Yet another flag waiving American who thinks anything that doesn't show Mr. Bush personally shoving his foot up Saddam's arse as un-American.

I really enjoyed the book and the TV show is very good and faithful to the book too. Best depiction of Iraq so far.
I'm talking about the TV series which was made in 2008 and portays US Marines in 2003 singing a Country Joe and The Fish song (of all things :roll: ). I don't give a flying monkey's red arse about George Bush. I've read Dispatches by Michael Herr, which I thought was a very good book about Vietnam, until I found out that Herr fabricated alot of incidents in the book. The fact that some people will whore themselves for money doesn't mean that the advisor's are telling the truth. People will do anything for money and acceptance.

Capt America played by the guy who was in Malcolm in the Middle who played Francis best mate at the Military Academy and in Alaska,i think.Will IMDB it later.