Generation Jihad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by dangerousdave, Feb 9, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone watch this last night? Interesting viewing to say the least :? 8O

Peter Taylor investigates the terrorist threat from young Muslim extremists radicalised on the internet.

Following the attempt to bomb an airliner over Detroit on Christmas Day, this landmark series looks at the angry young men of Generation Jihad who have turned their backs on the country where they were born.

In the first episode, Peter hears from those convicted under Britain's newest anti-terror laws and investigates how some of the most notorious terrorists came to be radicalised. He finds a generation that has shed the moderate Islam their parents brought to this country, and instead have adopted a faith that they believe compels them to stand apart from Britain and its values.

Part 1:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qt1pm/Generation_Jihad_Episode_1/

2. I did watch this and found it fascinating.

What did strike me though, is off the top of my head I can't name one prominent Muslim who speaks for the community as a whole against terrorism etc int he same way the Archbishop of Cantebury represents the CoE or the Chief Rabbi the Jews.

The Islamic community in my view need to do a lot themselves to combat this threat, and I'd like to see more guys like that youth worker speaking out publicly against it.

3. Perhaps the majority don't speak out about it because they don't oppose it?

4. I wouldn't agree with that, but I think a lack of proper integration and the "Ummah" of being Muslim above all else have contributed massively to not a lot being said or done.

5. Generally speaking, Muslims don't have a hierarchy like bishops or popes. It's one of the reasons why dealing with the 'Muslim community' is like nailing jelly to the wall, and why the Government are so keen on the Muslim Council of Britain. It gives them someone to talk to ("We should talk to someone about radicalisation. The MCB are someone, so we should talk to them").

My solution? Sorry, haven't got one. Demanding that 'moderate Muslims' stand up against the radicals assumes that the State has the monopoly on violence, which sadly isn't the case. Banishment orders or indefinite detention for people who support terrorists? In this Human Rights environment? Even deporting people, perhaps to Pakistan, is hardly going to help our friends in these countries who have their own battles to fight.

6. I appreciate that Muslims don't have a real hierachy, but what does that leave Britain with? A series of insular, religion based and driven communities whose ideology is presided over by an imam who is answerable to no one, and whom Britain is not their first loyalty?

7. True - and a lot of these folk get more airtime and more respect than they deserve. Having a silly beard or claiming to represent muslims seems to allow you to bypass democratic process and get your views listened to at the highest levels of government.

8. That's not entirely true - in many cases the imams in question have historically been answerable to the Wahabist groups, based in Saudi, who fund their work.

9. Sounds a tiny bit like George Galloway?

10. Target. Stop.

11. Pretty much. It's not a structured religion, more like a loose association of cults, each led by a charismatic leader. The more charismatica preacher he is, the bigger his congregation, the larger his income from donations, the more influence he has, etc.

The closest parallel is the assorted Non-conformist sects that sprang up in the 1700's-1800's. Some went on to become pillars of the Establishment, like the Baptists and Methodists, some died out due to lack of interest, and some linger on like the very odd Plymouth Brethren.

There is scope for Islam to do the same, but the first requirement would be to break the link back to the 'Old Countries.' Unless we train local Imams, the Mosques will continue to import ignorant medieval nutters from overseas, and the youngsters, who will have nothing in common with these beardy-weirdies, will take to reading religion alone. ( A very unhealthy activity, frowned upon by Churches, who stress the idea of the congregation.)

The problem with being a self-taught religious expert is that you can't tell if your instructor is an idiot. Congregations and trained priests exist to steer the individual away from odd interpretations of faith, like burning witches, blowing up airliners with your underwear, and so on.

12. Can anything be done in the long & short term to sort this out?

13. Nuke Saudi Arabia and Iran, thereby eliminating the billions of dollars that are being invested in promoting their respective brands of aggressive, proselyting, radical islam.

14. Not sure that is the answer 4(T)......yet!

But when a large proportion of imams in this country owe their allegiances abroad, it is time for the government to take a long hard look at their policies in this area. We need stricter integration, not just some fluffy citizenship test.

Also, although the so called "home grown" radicals are a problem, how many trained radicals have slipped in under the radar due to the rather lax immigration laws and aren't stupid enough to gob off about it?

15. Alternatively, license every mosque. Force them to become Registry Offices for the purposes of births, marriage and death.
    Insist on bilingual Imams.
    Regular inspections.
    Train UK Imams, and give them preferential postings.
    Encourage other, more moderate Islamic groups such as the Ismailis.

Lots of ways to basically tie the mosque into society. Basically, create a State approved Mosque of England.

It won't stop the loons entirely, but in a fairly short space of time you would see an English Islamic school of thought emerging, that would be far more based on our local traditions than something from the deep deserts of the East.

After all, I doubt that Jesus, as a 1st century Jew would find much familiar with the CofE, but we are still nominally Christian, and follow his teachings, but based on our own culture, not Judaism.