Generals slammed for Afghan military failures

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by sweet_cheek, Jul 17, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Schaden

Schaden LE Book Reviewer

*shrug* guess what happens when people think that "punching above your weight" is something to brag about.

• Like Like x 1
  2. No, do. CDS, CGS and CJO all need to take a bite of the sh*t sandwich that is our performance in Afg as we were trying to maintain a presence in Iraq.

3. Im not trying to blame anyone here. I just thought that some may be interested in the article. No intention to cause any offence.

SC

4. Very senior officers are very much to blame; and not just for mess in Iraqistan.

The army had a huge problem with moral and retention well before we got involved in the War on Terror. It may have been something to do with a failure of leadership from the top down.

5. No apologies required S-C - good link.

The only problem with giving people here a Hansard HoC report to look at is.........they can seldom be Arrsed.....

The issue of aviation assets in theatre has been a hot topic ( and a political embarassment )for the whole of Op HERRICK - and it should not be permitted to go away........this is what the Defence Select Committee have actually said in the Report you quoted:

There are two sets of polictics involved with this kind of embarrassment -

Westminster style politics - " All this happened under the previous administration " ( but are WE doing anything to make it better ?)
    Army politics - " Well of course decisions were made by my predecessor ( the fackin' useless Crab) which were........unsound. However, we are where we are......and I can't point the finger without the question being asked ' How have things changed on MY watch ? "

Ask our nearest allies whether they think the current British operation is fully resourced.......ask the Odiham Air engineers what miracles they have had to achieve to keep the existing Chinooks airborne.....and how many air-frame hours they have squeezed out of aircraft that have been in service since Reagan was president.....

Bare

6. I wouldnt blame Generals for this mess, but the soft approach on Pakistan in regards to doing more to stop its ISI supporting Taliban/Alqaeda elements, and doing nothing to the Quetta Shura.

7. Now we know. Hey no need for any more reports. We have the answer.

8. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

God Grief! Thank you for introducing me to a genuinely new experience - agreeing with AK 100% in a post.

Now, if only we could get rid of those pesky Pakistani nukes, we'd be home and dry.....