Generals oppose enhanced status for National Guard

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by msr, Oct 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Army and Air National Guard provide nearly half of the combat forces in Iraq and Afghanistan, most of the peacekeepers in the Balkans, and provide troops for other missions. With the Guard providing so much some in Congress think they deserve a 4 star general and a seat at the Joint Chiefs of Staff. Two senior generals disagree enough to speak out.

http://www.mercurynews.com/mld/mercurynews/news/politics/15688318.htm

msr

2. Well I thought the whole point of the Guard was they act as the trained militias of each of the states, acting as a counter balance to the Federal Army.

Wouldn’t adding them to the Chiefs of Staff disrupt this position? But then there has also been talk of how outdated the idea of states requiring militias is, so really it becomes a debate of does the entire concept of the Guard need to be rethought.

3. No, the Guard is a federal component. It just reverts to being under the State Governor's control until federalised for active duty. In event that the State Governor and the Federal Government are at odds over what the Guardsmen should be doing, the Federal Government will win. (It's happened at least twice). The State-Only militia is the "State Military Reserve", and their uniforms say "California" or whatever instead of "U.S. Army" like Guardsmen do. Only problem is that they are more or less equivalent to the LDVs of 1940. Woefully equipped, pathetically numbered and usually ancient. The Army Reserve has no State-level function at all and does not fall under the governor's control, even when not mobilised.

I can see arguments both ways as to the 4-star. I certainly approve of the distinct and separate budgets, the Army's been raping the Guard for that sort of thing. Not sure about the Joint Chiefs postion though: We fall under Army control when mobilised, our chain of command should go through the Army Chief of Staff.

NTM

4. There's been alot of bickering from politicians in Oregon who think they're going to snatch the Oregon National Guard from Federal control and withdraw them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Funny thing is I don't think they've taken the time to actually talk to the Guardsmen :roll:

5. [quote="Chief_Joseph]There's been alot of bickering from politicians in Oregon who think they're going to snatch the Oregon National Guard from Federal control and withdraw them from Iraq and Afghanistan. Funny thing is I don't think they've taken the time to actually talk to the Guardsmen :roll:[/quote]

Angelides (Who's running against Arnie in the California elections) made the claim a few weeks ago "If elected I will bring the California Guardsmen back from Iraq"

Arnie (and others) pointed out the 1916 National Defense act, and the success that the Governor of Minnesota had in 1990 when he tried to get his Guardsmen returned from foreign service: US Supreme Court unanimously told him to pound sand. 1957 showed it even more strongly: The Governor of Arkansas had the National Guard enforce segregation. President Eisenhower declared the Guard to be federalised, and used the same Guardsmen to enfoce integration.

Since then, Angelides has changed his tune to "I will use all of my influence..."

He's losing, by the way. Badly.

NTM

6. It wont happen, as California Tanker stated, We all fall under the CoS of the Army upon Mobilization.

On a side note for those who think the guard is only for CONUS use, The 32nd Division held the US record for most days in Combat in WWII.

The 116th Infantry(Va.) were the first ashore at Omaha Beach on D-Day.

The Guard has been in every single war in US History. A.co. of my Rgt. fought in the American Revolution. Even during Vietnam Guard Units did serve, D-151 Inf.LRRP(as an Example) was an Indiana unit which Volunteered for duty. Numerous Artillery units served "Incountry", & ANG units as well.

Better Funding, More access to Schools(NCOES,MOSQ) will do wonders.