Generals First - Scurrilous Rumour On "jobs For 1*+ Boys"

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
Back to AoF/Field Marshals/Top Crabs/5* in general -

There is a very nice Lady in MOD Main Building, part of whose job is to look after these chaps. Most (though by no means all) are in the House of Lords, and when they do work for the UK - appearing at dinners, international visits, that sort of thing - they are entitled to transport, pay, allowances, etc. Other than that they get their meagre pensions. I think they get some help with Med and Dental care, but not 100% sure on that.

They do represent pretty good VFM, in my view, as we pay for them to work only when needed - and when they do, they come up with the goods.

military posts yes but still it requires a lot of red tabs to fill which is my point
Actually the crucial shortage is in the SO2 arena, which is unfortunate as it is a critical 'worker bee' staff officer level that is a key 'enabler' for the organisational change that is ongoing to achieve FA2020 outcomes and other MoD changes. The outfall will be many poor foundations and structural 'sink holes' across Defence in the future, because critical stages of this transition have been poorly supported and typically there will be 'organisational IEDs' that blow up in the future.

For example, the individual costs of carrying 70 or 80 1 stars 'without portfolio', usually 'carried' in project roles within the Army for instance, may be an irritant to the 'penny pinchers', but it's small change compared to the costly failure to adequately resource the necessary 'stepping stones' to the affordable UK Defence structure, whether it's a good plan or not.

Actually the crucial shortage is in the SO2 arena, which is unfortunate as it is a critical 'worker bee' staff officer level that is a key 'enabler' for the organisational change ...etc.
That was really a very good effort. You should contribute to the 'buzzword' thread. :)

Actually the crucial shortage is in the SO2 arena, which is unfortunate as it is a critical 'worker bee' staff officer level that is a key 'enabler' for the organisational change that is ongoing to achieve FA2020 outcomes and other MoD changes. The outfall will be many poor foundations and structural 'sink holes' across Defence in the future, because critical stages of this transition have been poorly supported and typically there will be 'organisational IEDs' that blow up in the future.

For example, the individual costs of carrying 70 or 80 1 stars 'without portfolio', usually 'carried' in project roles within the Army for instance, may be an irritant to the 'penny pinchers', but it's small change compared to the costly failure to adequately resource the necessary 'stepping stones' to the affordable UK Defence structure, whether it's a good plan or not.
You should apply for the new head of MOD PR. What you said sounded wonderful. No idea what it means but at least I can not critique... Go on, go for promotion, head of bull shit meaningless nonsense.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
You should apply for the new head of MOD PR. What you said sounded wonderful. No idea what it means but at least I can not critique... Go on, go for promotion, head of bull shit meaningless nonsense.
Or answering letters sent to SOLDIER Mag!

Isn't it not affordable? Hence the reorganisations

Isn't it not affordable? Hence the reorganisations
I think I understand the double negative, and I think I would have to say it is an imperative that we do achieve a more flexible Defence force, although we should strive for a higher number of reservists actually as retention is no better than Reg service. A significant proportion of Reservists historically, and particularly over the last decade have joined up, trained and many have mobilised for HERRICK or TELIC and then left TA on average within 18 months. The latter is partly an issue of leadership, but whilst there are huge gaps in junior officers across the Reserve units, it's no surprise and will hopefully improve. The 'TA' has also been asked to make a substantive step change in their function and with HERRICK closing off; people should not underestimate the effect that operational tempo has had on the 'sales' attraction to the Reserve since 1999, but it has reduced effect now!

So, affordability is certainly a government 'cashflow' issue for the next 10 - 15 years, but the real costs are strategic affordability and unless spending increases to a steady 3% of GDP in UK and across our EU and NATO allies, we are going to have tears at bedtime come the big day fast approaching. The bullet to have really bitten in this transformation was to have created a Defence force with full integration, broken down the silo mentality within and across Services, reduced civil service direct costs, whilst contracting out more efficiently and effectively, given CDS the proper authority for both operational and non operational assets, reduced the balls aching 'bun fights' between the grown ups that have wasted so much money and undermined strategic projects, especially IT infrastructure programmes.

We are nibbling at the edges here of short termist political imperative arguments, overriding national / international defence capability needs. We need a hybrid Singaporean strategic plan, an Australian / Israeli Defence model underpinned by the bluff, honest and pragmatic British bayonet with the guts behind it.I could go on, but when has any Uk Defence budget ever been adhered to in history? In short, could do better ...!

Actually the crucial shortage is in the SO2 arena, which is unfortunate as it is a critical 'worker bee' staff officer level that is a key 'enabler' for the organisational change that is ongoing to achieve FA2020 outcomes and other MoD changes.
Transl: There are not enough Majors in Staff Jobs to do the detailed planning necessary to achieve the results called for in FA2020​

The outfall will be many poor foundations and structural 'sink holes' across Defence in the future, because critical stages of this transition have been poorly supported and typically there will be 'organisational IEDs' that blow up in the future.
Transl: The knock-on from this shortage will be the implementation of organisational structures which, for want of rigorous, clear thinking, simply will not be able to do the things that they are intended to do. The effect of this will show up when the structures are put under pressure in the future, and either fail to deliver, or deliver outputs that are flawed, and which, as a result blow up in MOD's metaphorical face when exposed to real-world events.​

Transl: Critics generally tend to carp about the (assumed) expense of maintaining 70 or so 1* non-command appointments, but haven't twigged that this supposed expense will be tiny compared to the downstream opportunity costs that will emerge as the failure to adequately resource the development of a robust transition plan to deliver the Affordable Defence Structure (even if that structure were a good'un) generates unexpected issue after unexpected issue.

==========​
Over to you, Riddickulouse: how close was that, to what you were trying to say, in your Merlot-maddened moment of yesterday?

Anyone want to come up with a translation of the translation? Especially the last bit?

Thank you for assisting with my grape laden grappling, although your extended précis appears to have met with further literary comment from the stalls ;)

If that really isn't clear enough for you, I'd strongly suggest you steer clear of any Staff job above SO4.
Sorry I can't see things from your point of view. I can't seem to get my head up your arrse as far as you can.

Glad_its_all_over

ADC
Book Reviewer
Even more simple translation:

Transl: There are not enough Majors in Staff Jobs to do the detailed planning necessary to achieve the results called for in FA2020
There are probably enough Majors, Squadron Leaders and Lieutenant Commanders decorating SO2 jobs to do the detailed planning; however, it's a poison chalice and the key imperative is to find a way of not getting splattered with fallout when the DA2020 train inevitably derails. Add to this that being a Jolly Good Sort and a pretty good squadron/company/battery commander doesn't necessarily qualify you all that well for complex structural, organisational and, my apologies for mentioning it, financial, planning.

The knock-on from this shortage will be the implementation of organisational structures which, for want of rigorous, clear thinking, simply will not be able to do the things that they are intended to do. The effect of this will show up when the structures are put under pressure in the future, and either fail to deliver, or deliver outputs that are flawed, and which, as a result blow up in MOD's metaphorical face when exposed to real-world events.
The structures which emerge will be the result of negotiation between folk with dogs in the fight. Relative size and activity of the dog in the fight will be function of uniform colour, cap badge and individual prejudice, informed by the insights of whoever is the 2RO of the relevant SO2 and SO1 and the vacillating direction from the political classes. The structures which emerge may end up fit for purpose, to a greater or lesser extent, but that'll be a serendipitous benefit and pretty much a surprise to everyone.

Critics generally tend to carp about the (assumed) expense of maintaining 70 or so 1* non-command appointments, but haven't twigged that this supposed expense will be tiny compared to the downstream opportunity costs that will emerge as the failure to adequately resource the development of a robust transition plan to deliver the Affordable Defence Structure (even if that structure were a good'un) generates unexpected issue after unexpected issue.
A few hundred thousand quid to maintain a few extra 1* or higher officers is a meaningless expense, given the size of the Defence Budget. However, the political calculation is that it's perfectly safe - and even likely to be popular - to give the red tabs a spanking; watch out for calculated narratives emerging over the next couple of years: "isn't it awful, all those young soldiers doing such a good job with, you know, the fighting and all, what a pity the Generals let them down so badly....".

Latest Threads