General Wavell Quote

#1
Anyone out there can help?
When Ptarmigan wing was based in Catterick, there was a quote on the wall from Gen Wavell with regard to information across the battlefield.
I don't suppose anyone can remember the full quote.
Could do with it for a dead guy quote on a presentation.
Many thanks.
 

IS Ski Geek

War Hero
Moderator
#6
Wavell 43 4 Div Rear

By far the best detachment to go on exercise with. 3 Phase power. Hardly ever worked but had to be guarded for security reasons. Winner
 
#7
IS Ski Geek said:
Wavell 43 4 Div Rear

By far the best detachment to go on exercise with. 3 Phase power. Hardly ever worked but had to be guarded for security reasons. Winner
Sounds like nothing new there then!! Bielefeld square and all the dets plugged up, for a fortnight, that was my kind of exercise.
 
#8
ISG,

Wavell Dets, nato tours (280), a bit of skiing and even the odd injury and I've finally got a northern posting! We have both had it so rough. But you can never beat a Wheeled Wavell! On top of my rack, a TV and Video, Toaster, kettle plus it even had a pull out card table next to my Teleprinter Normally parked next to the 28Vdc SAS/MC with the crew working solidly for 24hrs a day. Happy, happy days!!!!

regards

Albert
 
#10
nato_tato said:
Anyone out there can help?
When Ptarmigan wing was based in Catterick, there was a quote on the wall from Gen Wavell with regard to information across the battlefield.
I don't suppose anyone can remember the full quote.
Could do with it for a dead guy quote on a presentation.
Many thanks.
Don't have it to hand, so this is rather from memory, the Wavell quote was about complication:

"I wonder whether you realise what a very complicated business modern soldiering is."
Comes from series of lectures he gave in 1935, or thereabouts.

Montgomery is normally good for a few dead guy quotes. Is this the sort of thing which might help (it comes from ADP Land Ops, which has various historical perspectives)?
“Inspiration and guidance must come from above and must permeate throughout the force. Once this is done there is never any difficulty, since all concerned will go ahead on the lines laid down; the whole force will thus acquire balance and cohesion, and the results on the day of battle will be very apparent.”
FM Montgomery, High Command in War (21st Army Group, June 1945) p. 21.
 
#11
System 43 eh IS Ski Geek - who are you really as 43 was one of mine back in the day although I actually lived on 42 as a crew member at main before i moved to slipper city and got to pull your cables around.

Kev
 
#12
BegoneCare said:
nato_tato said:
Anyone out there can help?
When Ptarmigan wing was based in Catterick, there was a quote on the wall from Gen Wavell with regard to information across the battlefield.
I don't suppose anyone can remember the full quote.
Could do with it for a dead guy quote on a presentation.
Many thanks.
Don't have it to hand, so this is rather from memory, the Wavell quote was about complication:

"I wonder whether you realise what a very complicated business modern soldiering is."
Comes from series of lectures he gave in 1935, or thereabouts.

Montgomery is normally good for a few dead guy quotes. Is this the sort of thing which might help (it comes from ADP Land Ops, which has various historical perspectives)?
“Inspiration and guidance must come from above and must permeate throughout the force. Once this is done there is never any difficulty, since all concerned will go ahead on the lines laid down; the whole force will thus acquire balance and cohesion, and the results on the day of battle will be very apparent.”
FM Montgomery, High Command in War (21st Army Group, June 1945) p. 21.
interesting....

having read Bowlby, a gentleman ranker, who saw it all from the bottom up I would have to conclude that Monty, who went to my old school and was a top-bloke/utter-****** according to various people, was wrong.

Then again, having read McDonald-Frazer's auto-biog, another gintlemanranker, who seemed to have "heard" his General's "message" whilst getting his chin dirty, I think Mony may have been right.

I'd like to think so anyway.
 

Top