General Sir Mike Jackson and General Wesley Clark

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Technocratic_Turbine, Mar 24, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. *They threw out our tea...now we threw out their order*

"I'm not going to start the Third World War for you"

BBC Link

This tale is clearly old and nothing new, however it is one about which I only just found out. It involves the reputed 'tiff' between the then NATO Supreme Commander (General Wesley Clark) and Lieutenant General Mike Jackson. I'm not sure of the exact timing of this incident in relation to the Kosovo conflict (it's in the article I'm sure). However it seems General Wesley Clark sought advice from the then NATO Secretary General Javier Solana whether he had the authority to deal with a potential flashpoint involving the Russians moving in on Pristina airport, possible seizing it and consequently being able to fly in thousands of their troops. General Wesley Clark was given permission and ordered General Mike Jackson to blockade the airport from all Russian movement, including aircraft and ground forces. Clearly with a cooler head, General Mike Jackson defied this order because he knew that a stand-off could easily escalate into an armed skirmish with the Russians. Thankfully, common sense prevailed and General Wesley Clark instead convinced Hungary and Romania to deny the Russians use of their airspace. I am simply amazed that a General, thought it wise to block the Russians and potentially kick-start a conflict within a region that had just seen/was about to see the end of a nasty genocide. It beggars belief.

2. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

Clarks, a Cnut simple, Clark had no understanding of real world politics in that region. POD did. msg sent to Clark blx Sir. hence no Conflict mind you 1Para were up for it.

3. woopert

woopert LE Moderator

The OP needs to be edited to pose a question or make a statement to start a discussion based on the quote.

4. Jackson came out best on that one, but lost the other case when he was comd in Bosnia, that time is was crap propaganda that a US PsyOps unit was distributing on orders from SACEUR and he wanted none of on his patch.

5. Weasely Clark was relieved of Duties shortly thereafter. His career ended quicker than he figured.

Wes was the penultimate politician in Uniform, he backstabbed so many others on the way up that he could have been Charlie Manson

6. Afraid Wesley Clarke was out of the same mould as so many American generals who get given command just because they are American when they have had little or no previous command or comat experience. Eisenhower was the classic example. The real story about him will be out soon and he will go the same way as Patton who is no longer even mentioned or used as an example at West Point.

7. "Patton no longer even mentioned....". Really? Sorry to go off thread but why would that be?

8. Pararegtom

Pararegtom LE Book Reviewer

you beat me too it Bardeyai, thought Patton was the War god of Westpoint.