General Sir John Hacketts "Third World War"

I read this book ages ago but can't find it on Amazon or in fact anywhere? Anybody know where I can get a copy? Bit dated as it was about the Soviet/ NATO threat but still a good read (as I remember)

And didn't it all kick off over Middle Eastern oil?

msr

Big Kahoona said:
I read this book ages ago but can't find it on Amazon or in fact anywhere? Anybody know where I can get a copy? Bit dated as it was about the Soviet/ NATO threat but still a good read (as I remember)
Googled Amazon result

Brilliant that Google, eh.

An outstanding soldier.His book was one of the first to look at an actual conflict with the Warsaw Pact as it could have happened,an excellant read indeed Big K,best of luck finding a copy.

As a young Cpl on the Harrier Force many moons ago, I read the book whilst on nights in Syscon at FWOC. At endex, in true bluejob tradition we had a barbie(!) I ended up chatting with the Force Commander, Gp Capt "Dickie" Johns. I asked him if he had read the book as in the chapter entitled "The Air War in Central Europe" It mentioned the Harrier Force. The book being written by General Sir John Hackett and Others. He informed me that he had actually wrote that chapter. He was one of the "others" How spooky that I asked a man if he'd read a book only to find that he'd written part of it!

BBear

LE
Kit Reviewer
Ha, just finished it. Cracking good read, if you still haven't got hold of it by now let me know - I'll send you my copy.

And after you're read that , read "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle.

hackle said:
PartTimePongo said:
And after you're read that , read "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle.
I was going to say that, PTP!! AMAZON LINK (paperback - was also published in hardback)

I can't remember the name offhand, but there was also a similar novel treatment of the Canadian brigade in Germany fighting a WWIII scenario. I liked it for going into lower level tactics.
First Clash by Kenneth Macksey. Good read. Third World War, excellent, Team Yankee okay imho. Bit too easy for 105mm armed Abrahms to defeat T72's and T80's in my view. IIRC they also mentioned using the FIST vehicles.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
msr said:
And didn't it all kick off over Middle Eastern oil?

msr
I thought it kicked off over the Russian harvest failing once too often. But it's been a long time since I last read it (even longer since the first time - about 1978, first run hot off the press with about the first 60 pages printed twice due to a publishing error).

You're totally correct. As Shan Hacket was from our regiment many of us took the opportunity to read this book and discuss it when it came out and was relevant.

A heavy read but excellent nontheless.

If you liked Hackett's book (and I did), you might also find this one interesting. It is the same sort of idea but based around a war kicked off by China attempting to re-take Taiwan. A bit more up-to-date than NATO vs. Warsaw Pact.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/0312205317/?tag=armrumser-21

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
GDav said:
You're totally correct. As Shan Hacket was from our regiment many of us took the opportunity to read this book and discuss it when it came out and was relevant.

A heavy read but excellent nontheless.
Was it Hackett in his former life as brigade commander at Arnhem that Sean Connery played in A Bridge Too Far?

Latest Threads