General Sir John Hacketts "Third World War"

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Big Kahoona, Feb 15, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I read this book ages ago but can't find it on Amazon or in fact anywhere? Anybody know where I can get a copy? Bit dated as it was about the Soviet/ NATO threat but still a good read (as I remember)

2. msr

msr LE

And didn't it all kick off over Middle Eastern oil?

msr

3. Googled Amazon result

Brilliant that Google, eh.

4. An outstanding soldier.His book was one of the first to look at an actual conflict with the Warsaw Pact as it could have happened,an excellant read indeed Big K,best of luck finding a copy.

5. i have a copy somewhere

6. As a young Cpl on the Harrier Force many moons ago, I read the book whilst on nights in Syscon at FWOC. At endex, in true bluejob tradition we had a barbie(!) I ended up chatting with the Force Commander, Gp Capt "Dickie" Johns. I asked him if he had read the book as in the chapter entitled "The Air War in Central Europe" It mentioned the Harrier Force. The book being written by General Sir John Hackett and Others. He informed me that he had actually wrote that chapter. He was one of the "others" How spooky that I asked a man if he'd read a book only to find that he'd written part of it!

7. BBear

BBear LE Reviewer

Ha, just finished it. Cracking good read, if you still haven't got hold of it by now let me know - I'll send you my copy.

8. And after you're read that , read "Team Yankee" by Harold Coyle.

9. You can get my copy

Team Yankee though is the usual wishy washy liberal tripe you would expect to be peddled by PTP

Go for TC's 'Red Storm Rising'

10. I was going to say that, PTP!! AMAZON LINK (paperback - was also published in hardback)

I can't remember the name offhand, but there was also a similar novel treatment of the Canadian brigade in Germany fighting a WWIII scenario. I liked it for going into lower level tactics.

11. i have recently given away the sequel to third world war to a charity shop largely disappointing bit of a cash in to be honest.

12. HC went on to a reworking of the retreat of the 'Ten Thousand'.......naturally Nancy played a pivitol role :D

13. First Clash by Kenneth Macksey. Good read. Third World War, excellent, Team Yankee okay imho. Bit too easy for 105mm armed Abrahms to defeat T72's and T80's in my view. IIRC they also mentioned using the FIST vehicles.