General Sir David Richards speaks......

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by vvaannmmaann, Dec 15, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. He mentioned bankrupt Countries cannot afford to defend themselves........

Fighting talk? Particularly as Sarkozy is getting a bit of a gob on him as far as the UK and CMD goes......
  2. Or pre-empting budget cuts?
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

All sensible organisations (including I hope the MOD) have contingency plans for likely scenarios.

The MOD is not saying that the Euro is going to collapse, only that its now a possibility. In that event, the MOD would look pretty dumb if it had no plans in place. For example, it it were staging flights through French airspace and French Air Traffic Control collapsed, they should have alternative flight paths planned.

Similarly, if we rely on other European assets for particular functions (say air to air refuelling) then those assets might be grounded. Again, the MOD would need to look to see if the RAF tanker fleet could cope.

Proper Planning Prevents Piss Poor Performance.... (one hopes).

4. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Too much dependence on 'Allies' .. it's a rubber coat peg.
  5. I'd guess what he won't come out with is something along these lines,
    " No way we can share a Carrier, cos the likelihood is that said carrier will be in Marseille tied up ready to be sold to India/China/Brazil, as the French economy is in tatters after reverting to the Franc"
  6. We could remind them of Mers-el-Kébir?
  7. In 1980 Professor Charles Reynolds went at length, in his course on British Defence at Durham, to make it clear that national defence is not an alternative to collective security and vice versa.

If Britain were to become external to the EU, then we would have to develop a new national defence framework. With more rather than "better". Simples
  8. Since when does the EU have a collective defence policy?
  9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't that supposed to be one of the functions of the OSCE?
  10. That talking shop? It doesn't provide joint command/liability for operations a la NATO.

One of Britain's big problems in defence at the moment is that the pound has been devalued to shit and, even the things we do build ourselves we cannot supply on-shore. I don't know what the inflation rates are like for the MoD and military supplies but I bet they bear no similarity to the real world.

That said there's no alternative either. On the down side it does allow the French to pretend they've got a bigger military budget than us, purely because the ECB hasn't embarked upon a persistent policy of devaluation for two years.
  11. Spot on there 'v'. I suppose CMD gave his permission for Richards to speak in public, bearing in mind that he, CMD does the speaking and Richards does the fighting.
  12. And not only that, Ffrances much vaunted nuclear carrier is more unreliable than Southern Rail and leaves a trail of broken bits behind it wherever it goes.
  13. Looks like he's making it an annual speech:

Defence chief attacks Armed Forces cuts
    Defence cuts have left the Armed Forces unable to carry out all the tasks that ministers continue to demand of them, the Chief of the Defence Staff has claimed.

Defence chief attacks Armed Forces cuts - Telegraph

Choice quote:

"He added: “We are under very great political pressure, from the very top down, to look at our star count, the number of generals you have in relation to the overall size of the Armed Forces. The same equation applies all the way down the officer ranks.

“The irony is that if you want to retain influence, you actually need more officers and more [star] ranks.”
  14. I'd love to see the old fellas out on the 'ground' after all the repeat slashes to 'OR' manpower; to para-phrase the good General's qoute with regard to influence 'you need more of those that count'!