General Sir David Richards image in paper today

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by munrojock, Jul 18, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. New here so feel free to point out errors.....

Just saw an image in the paper today of General Sir David Richards and he seemed to have both British AND American rank insignia on his uniform (British in the centre of chest and American stars on collar) ..... is this normal nowadays or have the Yanks just taken over?????

2. BiscuitsAB

BiscuitsAB LE Moderator

Its a suck up to our colonial cuzins as they can't work out our rank structure.
  3. Dumbing down Yank style.
  4. Thanks Biscuits, thought as much but secretly hoped we'd stopped playing that game!

And apologies for posting, as I now see, in the wrong area. Still trying to work out where I am and where it goes, so to speak.
  5. Surely not that much, Blobby. That's just taking the piss.
  6. Routine for 1 star and up working in US units/rank structures or NATO roles where they have frequent command functions over seppos. Not compulsory and not all bother.
  7. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

Correct - and has been the case for at least ten years now. In fact a quick search will reveak threads on tgis very topic every couple of years or so since ARRSE began.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)
  8. Cheers Snowy and Rikki
  9. We're British for God's sake! We should take every opportunity to confuse our cousins from over the pond - ranks, titles regimental names, structures - all should remain a complete mystery to them! It undermines their confidence and instills a feeling of inferiority.

Shame on you sir for not leading by example.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Yeah, but he's quite short so he probably just wanted to make sure he was noticed when he was around Americans.

I don't mean it - I think he was one of the better senior officers we've had recently, and I wish him well in what he does next (unless it involves journalists with promises of enormous sums of money for no obvious work).
  11. I'd like to see the US non-commissioned ranks reciprocating.
  12. Never mind the rank badges. Can the glum ****** crack a smile yet?
  13. I did see a Danish type with lots of stripes and rockers with what looked like a UK WO1 badge worn on the traditional style leather wrist band in either BSN or LKG.
  14. He's wearing UK insignia and NATO insignia, as the UK is a member of NATO. NATO happened to use US insignia as they are the strongest (and so get to lay down the rules). Plus many EU states use stars after the US fashion anyway, just as many post-colonial nations use the UK oak leaf insignia instead of stars.
  15. Thanks for that. It was worth the 15 month wait.
    • Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1