General Service Corps

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by buddahboy, Jun 8, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi All,

Interested in joining the TA. Was looking around for Info and saw the General Service Corps on wikipedia, stating that it was mostly staffed by reserves etc

Does anyone know what the GSC actually does?

2. general things
  3. Officers commissioned whilst at an OTC get 'parked' in this too - until they can move onto a proper regiment
  4. Do not recruits wear the GSC capbadge at some stage of thier training ? I saw a bunch in Pirbright wearing a coat of arms capbadge not that long ago and took it that it was something they wore before passing off the square
  5. Dont know about the regulars but with the TA there's the Gen List , where Them are kept.
  6. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Wellyhead, I don't know if that's actually the GSC badge or another, but yes all Regular recruits at CMSR now wear the standard non-unit specific head dress at ATR's.
  7. It is the GSC cap badge, and they repklace it with their regimental headdress when they pass off the square.
  8. I was commissioned into the GSC from my OTC but faced with the immense cost of the beret badge, continued to wear the OTC one until posted to 101...

While in CVHQ there was a very distinguished psychologist who was badged GSC, despite being a Major.
  9. Certainly a fair number of SOE photos show them wearing GSC badges as the male answer to FANY as a way of putting people into some form of armed service without too many questions.
  10. Dragging the dead thread up here. Any more information on this? I have a picture of grand dad with GS cap badge and wings on the breast.
    I know of his service and post war was still uniformed, GS cap badge but wings moved to arm.

Edit one pip wonder, wings on arm. Getting married as a captain with wings on breast. Always GS capbadge.
    Last edited: Mar 13, 2016