General Petraeus for President?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by seaweed, Apr 4, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

2. Only partly agree, I think the Reps would welcome him with open arms as he would be the one candidate that would be acceptable to the Rep grass-roots and to the mainstream. I don't don't think he'll run though, and certainly not in 2012: he's currently head of CENTCOM and after that is looking at reaching the peak by becoming Chairman of the Joint Chiefs - that would keep him busy till 2016.
  3. Gen Petraeus may be unavailable, what about Gen George W. Casey Jr instead :?
  4. Unfortunately I think he's way too political for the job.

Look at FM 3-24, it's practically a commie tract.
  5. It's understandable, but just a re-run of when the Septics wanted that Clarke fella to be "pressdnt" Remember him? The fella who wanted to run off the Ivans and to whom your man Jackson remarked: "I'm not going to start Were Wore Three because of you"? Just because he's been able to bluff everybody into believing he's a rufty-tufty fella doesn't mean that he's presidential material. Be very careful what you wish for.

6. Oops, double-tap again. Sorry about that.

7. And Colin Powell was touted as a Republican candidate at one point. Seems like a regular (non-?) story in the US - General X for Pres.

8. What a thruster. Would be like voting for MacArthur.
  9. mmmmmmmmm
  10. GOP 12 links to a long Vanity Fair interview with "Peaches" in Another "Petraeus isn't running post"
    "The Professor of War" as VF calls him probably says that to the mailman every morning. He'd be wise to actually stick to that.

A couple of years back his numbers on Gallup were not great:

I suspect they'd be much worse in 2012. Such donnish fodder after a gut full of lectures from the hated Barry is hardly attractive. The evangelical base will be screaming for sugary Palinesque comfort food, the certitudes of faith based folksy belligerence in the language of demonology. The wider GOP club for growth crowd will be eying the huge deficit, loudly crying for slashing entitlements and the voodoo economics of elite tax cuts, they'll consider a safe pair of business savvy hands like Romney. A sober big brained soldier best known for the once emotive but now rapidly fading Iraq war, of conservative "apolitical views" is not well suited to this bloody mindedly partisan human terrain. Poor Peaches is a hopeless bet.

Now if Barry holds onto the Whitehouse because the GOP runs a lovable hard right numptie as is likely in 2012 it might be a different story in 2016. A "Rockefeller Republican" might be just the ticket.
  11. Unlikely, the Republican loon fringe are just about keeping it together with the idea that the American people were somehow 'tricked' in 2008. If Obama wins in 2012, expect them to go off the deep end. The only way I can see a Republican moderate running in 2016 is if the US far right start an armed campaign and trigger a backlash against themselves.
  12. Sarah Palin might be a good POTUS, but she has stop making those movies. They just dont so her any favours. Dirty biatch. :lick:

13. He is extremely smart and has a strong background in international relations. He also could attract a few more of the liberal votes than Petraeus. I feel he would be a great President as he could defuse the polarization that has been occurring in US politics. However, he will have 40 years in the Army in June. I strongly expect that he may chose to accept the corporate board offers he is sure to get and spend some time working seriously on tennis and skiing skills.