General Langsdorf

Discussion in 'Officers' started by thingy, Apr 22, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Who is he?
  2. not a scooby but is he related to KzS Langsdorf?
  3. I can't find him in (my admittedly rather ancient copy of) the Army List.
  4. Bouillabaisse

Bouillabaisse LE Book Reviewer

It would have to be a pretty ancient Army List written in German. Wasn't he one of Kaiser Bill's generals?
  5. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Are you sure you're not thinking of Ludendorff?

Langsdorff, as far as I'm aware, was the officer who captained the Graf Spee.

Edited to correct rank as per Pte P's comment below. Mong that I am.
  6. The Graf Spee was the Admiral- Langsdorff held the rank of Captain. A truly honorable man who took his own life rather than be topped by the Nazis
  7. Bouillabaisse

:oops: :oops: :oops:
    I knew I knew the name. And me an ex-matelot. In my defence, the "General" bit threw me. And of course, it doesn't necessarily answer the question.
  8. Here he is;

He was boxed in by Exeter, Ajax, Achilles and Cumberland at the river Plate. The ship was scuttled.
  9. I know about Adm Langsdorff, but this guy claims to be a British General!
    I take it that he's a walt then? :roll:

Just wanted to check with the experts. :salut:
  10. Bouillabaisse

Funny name to make up if you're walting.
  11. Where is this fellow claiming to be a British general? Obviously not at large on the internet. Nobody in the Army List, closest is a sixties vintage Brigadier Langstaff...
  12. If you are a general then you don't normally have to claim to be one to be taken seriously. Obviously a walt

Field Marshal WeHappyFew VC and Bar
  13. I knew a General Langendorf once. He was a US Air force type. I think he made General anyway. I knew his daughter in the 1980's
  14. thingy wrote
    He's Captain Langsdorff. The German Navy rank is Kapitän zur See, as Cuddles wrote, 'KzS' and you aren't going to find him in the Army list of whatever age because, 1. he was German, 2; he was a naval officer.

To recap for thingy's benefit as he missed the clues. The Admiral was Graf von Spee, Captain Langsdorff's ship was named after him. Captain Langsdorff is highly regarded in naval circles even now.

Thingy, given your talent for getting names wrong over on Rum Ration and rank wrong here, are you sure you've got this 'general' chap's name and rank right? It's important if we are in the business of outing walts. :wink:

EX_STAB; did you?