General Jacks Diary

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Charm_City, Dec 6, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I've just finished re-reading this, which I think is one of the better WW1 diaries.

The implication in a written portrait by a fellow officer that forms part of the forematter is that Jack was not from the usual background of pre-war regular officers. I've seen the 'Lions led by donkeys' piece at
    http://www.firstworldwar.bham.ac.uk/donkey/jack.htm
    but it is unimformative about his origins. Does anybody know just what they were? Was he from (shock, horror!) 'trade'?

C_C

2. I think its mentioned somewhere that most of his family were in manufacturing industries in and around Paisley.

There were actually quite a lot of regular officers who had come by Jack's route: joined in the ranks in local TA/militia and then transferred into the regular army on the back of good service records in South Africa.

Jack's diary is the main counterpoint to the whole "Lions led by Donkeys" myth; the army was in fact comprised of "Lions led by Jacks" - a pre-war army of c.200k swelled to c.5 million, and all administered with pencil, paper and telephone by damaged survivors like Jack.

3. It really is a superb read. Sadly mine fell out of my bag on the bus and has been lost forever.

4. Ta - I wondered from the reference in the link to him being from Paisley if his background was one of the Paisley weaving concerns, which would be a tenuous connection to the vile Alan Clark, whose fortune was made in the Paisley spinning trade (I really need to get out more).

Agree 100% with 'Lions led by Jacks'

C_C

5. General Jack was my grandfather, so I should know all the answers to your questions, but shamefully, I'm not that knowledgable. I think you maybe correct and he was in 'trade' as I know there's a connection to Wilton Carpets in the family. And yes, he came from Paisley and moved to Kibworth in Leicestershire after his married Jeanette Watson.
    Although I'm not an expert on my Grandfather's life I know a man who is - Dad (Obviously his son). And if you want to know anything at all please get back in touch and I'll dig into the families dark past - someone came from trade, I ask you!
    Louise Jack

6. Louise,

thank you - my original query was simply idle curiosity, but it would be interesting to know the General's route to a regular commission and whether my stab at a background in the Paisley textile industry was correct. And there are lots of more knowledgeable individuals on here who probably can ask far more intelligent questions ...

C_C

7. The Birmingham University First world War Studies web-site seldom fails to answer these queries...

The diary can be obtained from Amazon for as little as £2.00 at present - General Jack's diary

Think nothing of it...it is what first World War bores like me live to provide!

8. Cuddles,

ta - either they have added a bit to that since I looked in 2009 or I had on my wrong glasses.

C_C

9. It is very much a work in progress C_C!

Thanks for prompting me to order the book for the princely sum of £2.00...

10. I have an old copy of the book. My great uncle was one of the officers in the 2nd Battalion West Yorks and was killed the day after Jack got wounded at 3rd Ypres. I bought the book hoping to find out a little about him but he is only mentioned as being killed. Reading the book gave me an absolute insight into what my great uncle would have been doing - very insightful. I would have loved to have read the entire diary to see if there was any other mention of him, especially as he was awarded the MC and Bar whilst with the West Yorks. Would have been amazing to see what Jack thought.

11. Jack is an admirable man - His DSO is for refusing to launch a raid until he thinks his battalion is ready.

One of the most telling entries is that for the day in 1914 when they are boxing up the kit they won't need on operations. (The letters MFO are not used , but...) He write that consensus among subalterns is that they will be deploying for a long and very bloody war.

12. Hi, it's The General's granddaughter reporting with information gleened from her father.
    James - or Jerry as my grandmother called him - volunteered to fight in the Boer War. He joined as a subaltern, the lowest commisioned rank. During the way he was what my father describes a 'scout on horseback,' or I guess a dispatch rider.
    As the army were paying him 3 times what his father was offering it was decided that he should stay in the army. Indeed his father owned a carpet manufacturing company called Peter Jack Ltd.
    Dad thinks he led the West Yorks because their 'leader' had died. I'll find out more about that if you want - just ask. But from what Dad said he never joined the West Yorks.
    According to Dad The General hated war

13. Oh and just to say the original 'diary' is at the Imperial War Museum (on loan from us) - he wrote over 200K words but his handwriting is very, very neat. Anyone who wants to read the full account - good luck!

14. Just ordered a copy for less than 3 squid with postage - bargain!