General Irwin - change of heart on cutbacks

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by MrPVRd, Jan 15, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From the Scotsman

A bit late now!
  2. There are other posters here , more intimate with the Machivellian goings-on at the "Night of the Colonels"

Was Irwin always a naysayer , or is this a sudden case of his conscience going two-up?
  3. a sudden case of his conscience going two-up
  4. We seem to have posted that story at same moment, MrPVRd.

Next time can we buy one copy of the paper and go two's up :lol:
  5. Yep - a tad late now. Now it's done though and there's no way it's going to be reversed let's just get on with it and stop crying over spilled milk.

It's happened before and will happen again - it takes a year or two to get used to it then most soldiers and officers just get on with their jobs. A few die in a ditch about it, but that seems to be a pointless exercise - Bliar, TCH et al are hardly going to change course because half a dozen officers resign or kick up a fuss! Indeed it would seem like cutting ones nose off to spite the face.

I have to say though that it seems slightly bizarre that the press, the govt et al seem to think that the jock regts are something special and deserve extra attention. In my humble opinion they are no better and no worse than the other regts; they deserve no special attention and all the regts should be treated equally and fairly.

The cynic might suggest that Bliar is terrified of losing the scottish vote :roll:
  6. They're all the f*cking same - that fat prat Field Marshall Lord Inge, who happily slashed the army in an insane manner on behalf of John 'Carefull Edwina's eggs may have salmonella' Major and the Tories, when he'd got his large lardy arrse wedged into a red leather bench in the House of Frauds deigned to pop his ugly boatrace over the parapet and start making statements about the inadequacies of the armed forces. Unbelievable, but at least he managed to save the Green Cowards' bacon until TCH and his trusty companion the Poodle of Darkness did for 'em this time the Murphys, I'm not bitter...much!
  7. Oooh ouch Queensman - take it that you did not approve? :)
  8. Fair points tattybadger. I suppose anyone who wears or has worn any infantry capbadge has or should have a special feeling for it. At the same time we should all be able to see the bigger Divisional, Infantry and Army picture.

I dont think its entirely the doing of the Press. I know I've made a similar point before, but at one stage I was the one posting news here about "save the regiment" marches in northern-England towns. Maybe some people south of the border took a more philosophical attitude, which is fair enough.

As PG Wodehouse observed, "It is never difficult to distinguish between a Scotsman with a grievance and a ray of sunshine.". :lol:
  9. Hackle - you're probably right - it just seems that the jocks have had an extra crack at the whip with the press this time round - thanks mainly to the BW in Iraq.

I hope they exploit all the publicity that they get - I certainly would if it suited my purpose.

Again though - no point in taking out the Mess Webley. It will have no effect on Bliar TCH et al.
  10. the Jocks have had no "extra crack at the whip" from any special interst case, other than the Jocks have been on the march over it.
    They've stressed there should be no cuts of any infantry and urged all jump on cause. Doin't blame them for being pro-active and non-complacent!
  11. Just what is "a tad late now" to change?

What has been done so far that cannot easily be undone?

Stop just rolling over!
  12. The ballot box this year, vote them out. :evil:
  13. The changes to the Army that will happen.

I'm not rolling over, just realistic to know that there's little point in fighting a battle that cannot be won. The changes will take place now - Bliar et al will not have a change of heart, no matter how much we make a song and dance about it. Imagine the political ramifications of a u turn like that so close to an election.

It also happens that I agree with some of the decisions that have been made (like ending arms plotting). The shame for me is that 4 Bns will go as a result of the changes, rather than keeping them and improving our capability on the ground (assuming that kit would be aval to them).

Another point, which might raise some hackles; we seem, collectively, to have a short memory. Most Bns have been restructured in some shape or form over the last 40 odd years. It did not seem to hugely affect our capability as the best Inf in the world - why should the current changes have such a huge effect? I have seen changes in the last 20 years and I know that, by and large,officers and soldiers are robust, flexible and bright enough to roll with the punch and get on with job. Let's do the same now.

I see no other position than to accept the changes and make the best of it, whether one likes it or not. Whinging about it will not change a single thing - it might make you feel better for a while, but it will not prevent the ship turning.
  14. Do you mean the mergers or the duplication of the Scotsman article on two threads? :oops:
  15. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Of course what Gen Irwin will know (but does no allude to in his letter) is that if (hypothetically) the Army had, say, 600 posts added back onto its headline strength, that wouldn't mean a battalion would be saved. Under FAS most would be allocated to enhancements in other Arms and Services.