General in Kandahar investigated after rifle discharges

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Skynet, Apr 17, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Canadian general in Kandahar under investigation after rifle discharges while loading ammo

In this file photo, Canadian Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard speaks at Kandahar Airfield.
    Photograph by: Ethan Baron, Canwest News Service
    KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — Canada’s top soldier in Afghanistan is under investigation after his rifle fired unexpectedly at Kandahar Airfield.

In a highly unusual move, Brig.-Gen. Daniel Menard approached media on the base Saturday to explain the incident, which did not result in any injuries or property damage.

The commander of Canadian troops in Afghanistan said he felt compelled to come forward in the name of openness.
  2. It will be swept under the rug,nowt will happen.
  3. Wow what a non story.

Guy ND's so what if hes a general, aslong as the forms are followed whats the problem?
  4. Slow news day when an ND makes the news. 8O
  5. Agreed!
  6. What does Happen in the Canadian Forces for this?

Frankly I dont know of Any nations General Officers who would readily admit to such a negligence.
  7. You see what happens when people aren't reprimanded for having their pockets undone...

Next he'll leave the submarine hatch open.
  8. He's a mong for doing it, but at least he held his hands up. I can't see many others in his position doing the same.
  9. A months Pay in NI if I remember correctly and Forget further promotion.
  10. Feck me, it was a hundred of your English pounds for an NI 'whoopsie-where did that one go?' in the early 80's.
  11. I reckon it's a bullsh!t story! What's a General doing with a rifle?
  12. "I reckon it's a bullsh!t story! What's a General doing with a rifle? "

More to the point whats a general doing in an Army ?

13. Had a buddy ND a blank round at a remembrance day ceremony. CO screamed "RSM, CHARGE Tpr. BAKER!!! in front of the whole city. Baker got charged, fined $200 or so, was a laughing stock in the mess afterwards (though he couldnt HEAR us laughing, as he ND'ed on a shoulder-arms, therefor deafening him for weeks). Stern talking to and a fine.
    If it's a General doing the ND, I suspect the entire KAF staff under his command will have to sit through endless hours of remedial weapons drills and safety classes because " if it can happen to General Fvckhead, it can happen to YOU!"
  14. out in Iraq a few years ago one of the lads had a naughty dennis with an LMG at the loading bay and was fined a months wages, thena few weeks later he lost his spare barrel. :D
  15. I can honestly say I saw Two Officers end their career with a ND each during my time in N.I.
    One in early 70's and one in late 80's.
    9 milli in each case, plus each lost a months wages.
    Been out since 1990 but thought that a months pay and forget promotion would still have been normal.