• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

General Help Please

Hi, I’m 16 (almost 17) and going into Harrogate AFC in September then into the Coldstream Guards. Would you guys (veterans and anyone serving) be able to give me some general advice for army life? I intend to do the full 24 years then hopefully I would’ve reached RSM to then comission to Captain and retire at 55 so I want to be the best from the start if I can. Thanks in advance for any help

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Mouth shut, ears open.

Do you have an opinion on having a family while in? I would want a girlfriend/wife but at the same time I wonder if it’s fair to have people at home waiting for me when I know I want to concentrate on the army

Do you have an opinion on having a family while in? I would want a girlfriend/wife but at the same time I wonder if it’s fair to have people at home waiting for me when I know I want to concentrate on the army
Sure, you can have a great family life. Stop worrying about things you have no control over.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Family life is what you make it, and that goes for both partners.

Mouth shut, ears open.
And be prepared to get your hands dirty.
Keep a sense of humour. Keep your body and your kit clean at all times. Remember that you are not by any means the first to do it and remember that it will all be over soon.

This may not make sense now, but when you are wet, cold, and miserable, hungry, haven't slept for 7 years and you are told to perform all the tasks pf Hercules, hopefully you will remember these words. The very best of luck mate. It is a job that is deffinatley worth the hardship.

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Hi, I’m 16 (almost 17) and going into Harrogate AFC in September then into the Coldstream Guards. Would you guys (veterans and anyone serving) be able to give me some general advice for army life? I intend to do the full 24 years then hopefully I would’ve reached RSM to then comission to Captain and retire at 55 so I want to be the best from the start if I can. Thanks in advance for any help
Ffs folks. That's not the info he wants.

If you do it, you will find there's no general shortage of ladies for you to dip. It comes with the job as long as you've got a bit of confidence.

Be very, very wary about what you dip.

That brief you get about STDs isn't for a laugh. There are some right hoaching skanks about. Moreso in Garrison areas or anywhere near a barracks.

Keep an eye out for honeytraps. That's the no-hoper scheme bird who spots a wage and tells you she's on the pill and then whoops, accidents do happen and before you know it you're three years in and a dad.

Happened to one of my mates. Silly **** ended up marrying her and now hates his life.

Keep your dick clean and your wits about you. Never tell them your real name. Always video it for evidence in case of rape claims. Then share it. On here.

Good luck.

Never tell them your real name. Always video it for evidence in case of rape claims. Then share it. On here.

Good luck.
Or give them your real phone number or take them back to yours

FFS, you're not even in AFC and you're thinking about razzer and LE? There's a possibility that your first cold, tired and hungry session might dampen that enthusiasm to the point of jacking, but being up at 2am on a Sunday morning is very 'Household' so it's a start.

Get in first. Worry about the career aspect when you've finished college.

Serious advice:

If you want to progress then be prepared to go the extra mile in what you do. That's what makes leaders stand out from followers.

Although I'm a civvy I deal with military personnel up to Lt Colonel or equivalent in other services [comm and non-comm]. The thing they all have in common is committment to the task.

As above, keep your kit and yourself clean. Don't get involved with Saturday nigh knee tremblers.

Good luck.

What they said. One foot in front of the other. Keep going.

Maintain yourself, your kit and your sense of humour.

Serious advice:

If you want to progress then be prepared to go the extra mile in what you do. That's what makes leaders stand out from followers.

Although I'm a civvy I deal with military personnel up to Lt Colonel or equivalent in other services [comm and non-comm]. The thing they all have in common is committment to the task.

As above, keep your kit and yourself clean. Don't get involved with Saturday nigh knee tremblers.

Good luck.
Sound advice, although the way to advance yourself is by stabbing everyone else in the back if you are RLC.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
And brush your teeth, twice a day, for two minutes, using a fluoride toothpaste.

One more question (I seem to have alot of these), I’m in the army cadets and I’m not one of those that thinks it makes me a fully fledged member of 22 SAS but I do know simple things like shaping a decent beret and polishing/bulling boots and ironing, when I start my training should I tell my mates I was in cadets then I can show them how to do certain things if they’re stuck so we all look good or will I just look like a knob?