General Failure

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by WulfricSpot, Nov 5, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Analysis on the American General leadership - focussing on Tommy Franks.
    Interesting to see how Generals in WWII were replaced when they****ed up but since then they all tend to look out for each other and act like a guild.

“As is often the case in war, the question is not whether the troops can adapt, but whether the leaders can. The troops, as always, paid the price of educating their leaders.”

General Failure - Thomas E. Ricks - The Atlantic

Read the comments afterwards.

2. We did. Last week.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Carry on then.

4. mercurydancer

mercurydancer LE Book Reviewer

In historical opinion, its easy to criticise any general of any age of any battle environment.

The standard in historical objectivity has been set by John Keegan and Richard Holmes.

Taking out the factor of luck (or otherwise termed as unknowable circumstances) , the question is - would it be possible to make a better plan than the general made given the specific circumstances, military and political, and forces available and intelligence available at the time?

Retrospection is always 20/20 vision. It it not always so at the time.

5. I think part of the problem is that in all government organisations today administration is emphasised rather than leadership.

Incidentally, excellent article, well spotted.

6. Grumblegrunt

Grumblegrunt LE Book Reviewer

it must be a regional thing because they left westmorland in place for years

7. IIRC I think most people thought Westmorland was doing a great job until Tet 1968 came along. Even he then realised that he could not continue and was replaced.

8. i think you are right - it tends to be manage rather than lead and there is a huge difference between the 2.
    The fear of media reprisal must be huge too.

The other element i thought interesting and something i wish all entities should consider is that Generals (or leaders) should be appointed based on merit not just because its their turn