Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

General enquiry

Just looking for some help regarding a question and was hoping some current/former serving members of the army may have been in a similar situation or could help shed some light for me. I am due to start phase 1 training next month at ATR Winchester, and I have my sisters wedding taking place during my initial training period and was wondering what experiences people have had in terms of similar circumstances? were you granted day release etc. I know its not a guarantee and have made the correct people aware, but was hoping for advice of someone who may have had similar. cheers in advance!

Unlikely, would be my guess.

The military is a big machine, and you playing your part is more important than a relatives wedding.

In later life, they are quiet good at compassionate things, and will fly you half way round the world if your mums dying.

So swings and roundabouts!

Ask any way, but unlikely

Maybe ask whether you can defer your Phase 1? All in all, that would be a very expensive wedding taking into account lost wages.

Your training staff are not monsters. Mention it to your section commander and if there isn't something immovable in the programme they may allow you to go for the weekend. Be prepared for them to say no - but as others have said, you can only ask.

Cheers for all the replies. I’m not expecting it to be a certainty and I have no intentions to defer my start date for it. If I can go brilliant, if I can’t then that’s fine. I know I’ll have to make sacrifices etc so it’s not a major issue just thought I’d enquire!

Thanks again

As said, it’s all dependent what’s in the programme and if it is a critical stage of training and to some extent how well you are doing.

Speak to your Instructors on arrival, they will try to assist you if at all possible.

Good luck by the way.

My father died while I was on block leave during training in the early 70's. I wasn't allowed to attend his funeral as we were back off leave by then. I expect things are a bit more warm and fluffy nowadays.

Good luck with training and your future career!

As said, it’s all dependent what’s in the programme and if it is a critical stage of training and to some extent how well you are doing.

Speak to your Instructors on arrival, they will try to assist you if at all possible.

Good luck by the way.
Thank you!!

My father died while I was on block leave during training in the early 70's. I wasn't allowed to attend his funeral as we were back off leave by then. I expect things are a bit more warm and fluffy nowadays.

Good luck with training and your future career!
Sorry to hear that mate! But thank you appreciate it!

Hi,

Serving Capt here.

Wherever possible your platoon OC can exceptionally grant leave for a day here and there, but obviously depending on the programme, if it means missing out on a training exercise or acriteria element of training it's iffy at best and could result in a back-troop to ensure all training elements are completed.
My tip? Crack on with everything and see what happens but don’t hold your breath.
Thank you very much!

Do not commit to anything financial without bomb-proof insurance.
Yeah I haven’t spent any money on anything I would need for the wedding because it’ll just be a waste if I can’t make it. So I will hold out until I have an answer whether it be yes or no. But thank you for your help regardless!

morsk

LE
Just looking for some help regarding a question and was hoping some current/former serving members of the army may have been in a similar situation or could help shed some light for me. I am due to start phase 1 training next month at ATR Winchester, and I have my sisters wedding taking place during my initial training period and was wondering what experiences people have had in terms of similar circumstances? were you granted day release etc. I know its not a guarantee and have made the correct people aware, but was hoping for advice of someone who may have had similar. cheers in advance!
I could go in your place and take pictures for you if you want..... I would ask your Platoon Commander when you get there. The Army is a fairly flexible organisation, but dont hold your breath. It may be you miss a couple lectures and some PT that can be caught up with, or it may be a vital fieldcraft lesson.... I had a christening during my basic. In the end I just didn't bother as I would have missed too much. Its all a case of priorities that only you can decide, when you have been given all your options. Good luck with the training though mate, whatever you decide to do.

I could go in your place and take pictures for you if you want..... I would ask your Platoon Commander when you get there. The Army is a fairly flexible organisation, but dont hold your breath. It may be you miss a couple lectures and some PT that can be caught up with, or it may be a vital fieldcraft lesson.... I had a christening during my basic. In the end I just didn't bother as I would have missed too much. Its all a case of priorities that only you can decide, when you have been given all your options. Good luck with the training though mate, whatever you decide to do.
Appreciate the advice. Thanks for your help and for the good luck wishes!

Shakebody

Swinger
Cheers for all the replies. I’m not expecting it to be a certainty and I have no intentions to defer my start date for it. If I can go brilliant, if I can’t then that’s fine. I know I’ll have to make sacrifices etc so it’s not a major issue just thought I’d enquire!

Thanks again
Seriously I feel you should ask your sector commanders as there's no harm in asking questions.