Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

General Election in 2018

General Election in early 2018

• Total voters
I'm not so sure. The current Mrs Berlin_104s is a polling office clerk and last week she had to give her current availability for 2018 to the Returning Officer for our area. It's never happened before and it would seem that someone is planning for one!

Local elections 2018?

No - we had them earlier this year.
No we didn't, confused no doubt by the Tsunami of elections
Next Local Elections: 2018
The next Local Government Elections will be held on Thursday 3 May 2018 and will include:
  • London Boroughs
  • Metropolitan Districts
  • Shire Districts
  • Single Tier Shire Districts
In West Oxfordshire we have a third of our District councillors up for election (10ish).

No we didn't, confused no doubt by the Tsunami of elections
Next Local Elections: 2018
The next Local Government Elections will be held on Thursday 3 May 2018 and will include:
  • London Boroughs
  • Metropolitan Districts
  • Shire Districts
  • Single Tier Shire Districts
In West Oxfordshire we have a third of our District councillors up for election (10ish).
I'll see your English nonsense and raise you Wales!

"Local elections were held in Wales on Thursday 4 May 2017 to elect members of all 22 local authorities, including the Isle of Anglesey, which was last up for election in 2013 due to having its elections delayed for a year. These local elections were held alongside local elections in Scotland and parts of England.

"The last elections were in
2012. Normally these elections take place every four years, but the 2017 elections were postponed for a year in order to avoid clashing with the 2016 Welsh Assembly election, which itself was postponed by a year to avoid clashing with the previous year's general election."

Next scheduled Local Government elections in Wales are in 2020/2021 - I think!!

I'll see your English nonsense and raise you Wales!

"Local elections were held in Wales on Thursday 4 May 2017 to elect members of all 22 local authorities, including the Isle of Anglesey, which was last up for election in 2013 due to having its elections delayed for a year. These local elections were held alongside local elections in Scotland and parts of England.

"The last elections were in
2012. Normally these elections take place every four years, but the 2017 elections were postponed for a year in order to avoid clashing with the 2016 Welsh Assembly election, which itself was postponed by a year to avoid clashing with the previous year's general election."
Next scheduled Local Government elections in Wales are in 2020/2021 - I think!!

You certainly didn't until the start of this week. I rather think you have a by-election coming up as a result of the suicide of Carl Sargeant, a former minister in Welsh Assembly Government, who killed himself a week after he was sacked over undisclosed allegations?

You certainly didn't until the start of this week. I rather think you have a by-election coming up as a result of the suicide of Carl Sargeant, a former minister in Welsh Assembly Government, who killed himself a week after he was sacked over undisclosed allegations?
Not us - that's up in Gog-land that is!!!

. . . or it's The Thunderer mischief making. Again.

That would be my assumption.

The question for the Tories is what has changed since 2017 to give them a majority and the answer is absolutely nothing at all. In fact they've probably gone backwards.

It may be that May has decided that the only strategy for her going forward is to pull the house down if she doesn't get her way but it's not even clear now what that way is and what she would be pulling the house down for. The Brexiteers won't countenance Chequers and with Chequers Light the obvious argument is that things may as well stay as they are.

My concern now is that the games playing idiots on both sides are so focused on the game that they're prepared to trash key political principles and traditions which have delivered a period of civic peace on the mainland unparalleled in modern political history. I find that unforgivable. The toxic legacy of a second referendum would be horrendous such that I wonder at the true motivation of some of those calling for it - the discrediting of democracy being one of the standard requirements prior to the successful installation of some form of 'ist'.

Of course the other alternative is that Labour spin doctors are pushing 'election imminent' stories in order to keep the brothers and sisters aligned during their current contemplation of dialectical materialism in Liverpool.

That would be my assumption.

The question for the Tories is what has changed since 2017 to give them a majority and the answer is absolutely nothing at all. In fact they've probably gone backwards.

It may be that May has decided that the only strategy for her going forward is to pull the house down if she doesn't get her way but it's not even clear now what that way is and what she would be pulling the house down for. The Brexiteers won't countenance Chequers and with Chequers Light the obvious argument is that things may as well stay as they are.

My concern now is that the games playing idiots on both sides are so focused on the game that they're prepared to trash key political principles and traditions which have delivered a period of civic peace on the mainland unparalleled in modern political history. I find that unforgivable. The toxic legacy of a second referendum would be horrendous such that I wonder at the true motivation of some of those calling for it - the discrediting of democracy being one of the standard requirements prior to the successful installation of some form of 'ist'.

Of course the other alternative is that Labour spin doctors are pushing 'election imminent' stories in order to keep the brothers and sisters aligned during their current contemplation of dialectical materialism in Liverpool.

There is sense in what you say, FF: your final paragraph probably has more than an element of accuracy to it.

Cynically, I suspect that both parties have dipped into the bag marked 'A Close Source Said . . .'-Labour pulling out the 'let the Brothers and Sisters vote on Ref2' if only to say what bounces back from other commentators. Likewise, the nonsense of May going to the country in-what?-less than 2 months and at a point when Tory stock is desperately low.

God, but I feel depressed . . .

DnyMELoWkAEnCjO.jpg:large