• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

General Election Date - 06 May 2010

Bob Ainsworth lets it slip on Sky News that the Election will be on May 6th.

Broon will be having a chat with him just about now and coffee is not served!

Bring it on!!

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He didn't say it was on the 6th of May. What he said was, "I think the British public will wake up and rue the day if they wind up with a Conservative government in charge of this country after May 6,".

There is a whole lot of year left after that date.

He actually paused and thought about it before he said it! We know he's a feckwit but he can't honestly be that bone.

Do Labour benefit from unleasing this date on the GP

terroratthepicnic said:
He didn't say it was on the 6th of May. What he said was, "I think the British public will wake up and rue the day if they wind up with a Conservative government in charge of this country after May 6,".

not really.

Electoral Commission said:
The five years run from the first meeting of Parliament following a UK Parliamentary general election. The current Parliament was first summoned on Wednesday 11 May 2005, so will cease to exist at midnight on Monday 10 May 2010. A general election to elect the new Parliament must be held by no later than Thursday 3 June 2010.
http://www.electoralcommission.org....the-last-possible-date-for-a-general-election

It makes sense, Paliament dissolves at the start of the Easter recess. It means that the only significant thing left for the government is the budget, a budget which will be a complete denial of reality, a budget whos sole purpose is to garner Labour votes. Whoever wins will have to hold an emergency budget soon into the new Parliament.

terroratthepicnic

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
EX_STAB said:
terroratthepicnic said:

not really.

The five years run from the first meeting of Parliament following a UK Parliamentary general election. The current Parliament was first summoned on Wednesday 11 May 2005, so will cease to exist at midnight on Monday 10 May 2010. A general election to elect the new Parliament must be held by no later than Thursday 3 June 2010.
http://www.electoralcommission.org....the-last-possible-date-for-a-general-election
I understand that he has until the 3 June to have a General Election. But what would happen to him if he didn't?
It wouldn't suprise me if he decided to not have one until later in the year, if he thought he could get away with it.

terroratthepicnic said:
EX_STAB said:
terroratthepicnic said:

not really.

I understand that he has until the 3 June to have a General Election. But what would happen to him if he didn't?
It wouldn't suprise me if he decided to not have one until later in the year, if he thought he could get away with it.
He can invoke the Civil Contingencies Act and do whatever he likes. Of course there would need to be some justification for doing so to make it wash with the public, an increase in the security threat even if for no apparent reason :roll:

Beat me to it; Broon and the rest of the sociopaths are so desperate to cling to power I would not put it past them to attempt the "Norsefire Scenario".

I still believe that there is a chance this hopeless gang of incompetents will pull a 'national emergency' stunt and postpone the general election.

I think 'bobthedog' takes a serious risk including the words 'Chris Bryant' and 'arrse' in the same post.

The Secretary of State is not the brightest cookie in the jar. So, I guess, he my have let slip. On the other hand, he is a New Labour politican, and New Labour is known for its deception and press manipulation. We shall have to see.

Winstanley said:
The Secretary of State is not the brightest cookie in the jar. So, I guess, he my have let slip. On the other hand, he is a New Labour politican, and New Labour is known for its deception and press manipulation. We shall have to see.
Or it is a campaign of disinformation.

thegimp said:
He actually paused and thought about it before he said it! We know he's a feckwit but he can't honestly be that bone.
Want a bet?

Bob's yet another Labour cabinet minister who left school at 14 with no qualifications, didn't bother getting any after school and who has never managed anything other than a picket line on his way to the top via the trade union movement.

Bob's lack of GCSEs in Maths and English would prevent him becoming a private soldier in some army regiments. It would prevent him becoming a NCO in many. His membership of the International Marxist Organisation would deny him the clearance required for the job of his most junior subordinate. Yet Bob gets to be the boss.

MoD might be fighting a war while 'not fit for purpose'. Servicemen might be dying because MoD can't fix the fuel seals on knackered Nimrods while spending £90m on a diversity campaign to recruit more Muslim squaddies. 'War' ships might be going to sea with no significant armament. The Secretary of State might not know how to calculate the percentage overspend in his budget. But why worry.

Never mind. At least Bob didn't go to Eton.

EX_STAB said:
Winstanley said:
Or it is a campaign of disinformation.
How long is the notice period required before an election is held?

Could be a cunning ploy.....

"The latest leak over the timing of the election will raise further suspicions among Conservative strategists that the Prime Minister is leading the Tories to believe that the date will be May 6, only to spring an earlier date on the Opposition designed to wrong-foot David Cameron's campaign plans"

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/politics/article7000510.ece

However, here is a "sample" timetable from the Electoral Commission:

http://www.electoralcommission.org...._file/0020/83171/UKPGE-combined-timetable.pdf

Make of that what you will but a 25 March election means the formalities being kicked off mid Feb./early March. That has the advantage of Alistair Darling not having to stand up and deliver yet another catastrophic dreamland budget amid bitter factional infighting.

Oh and it is also the Feast of the Annunciation, which ties in nicely with some current Catholic conspracy theories. Must be true then.

Latest Threads