General Election 2019

Yes, there is a thread in the Brexit forum but thats going to be inundated with Brexit crayonning and bickering so...

I have a strong feeling the Election will not give any one party a clear majority.

Johnson may very well be seen as an Old Etonian toff, out of touch with the common man. And the Tories have a poor track record on funding the Police and NHS, which are two very emotive issues.

Labour have some ideas that appeal to the electorate, but... Corbyn...

Lib Dems just aren't credible and so we have the wild card. the Brexit party.

I think they will split the Conservative vote and there is a real risk the next Parliament will have Labour as the largest party, but with no working majority. Regardless of manifestos, this will be a closet Brexit referendum, which is why I think the timing is poor - even though the current Government is unable to actually govern - caused in part by them sacking 21 MPs ( some of whom have just had the Whip reinstated, AIUI). Wonder why...

Its going to be a rough ride.

Whining Civvy

War Hero
The only thing that can be confidently stated is that anyone who offers confident statements about the outcome is an idiot. I'm not able to vote any more, being an expat, and have mixed feelings about it. I'd like to have my say but there's a strong undercurrent of 'well thank Christ that isn't my problem any more'.

I'll be cheering for Boris though.

<edit> Yes, let's have a non-Brexit election thread.

Yes, there is a thread in the Brexit forum but thats going to be inundated with Brexit crayonning and bickering so...

I have a strong feeling the Election will not give any one party a clear majority.

Johnson may very well be seen as an Old Etonian toff, out of touch with the common man. And the Tories have a poor track record on funding the Police and NHS, which are two very emotive issues.

Labour have some ideas that appeal to the electorate, but... Corbyn...

Lib Dems just aren't credible and so we have the wild card. the Brexit party.

I think they will split the Conservative vote and there is a real risk the next Parliament will have Labour as the largest party, but with no working majority. Regardless of manifestos, this will be a closet Brexit referendum, which is why I think the timing is poor - even though the current Government is unable to actually govern - caused in part by them sacking 21 MPs ( some of whom have just had the Whip reinstated, AIUI). Wonder why...

Its going to be a rough ride.
Were the NHS and the police were funded adequately under Blair and Brown or is it the nasty Tories who do that.

Sent from my SM-T510 using Tapatalk

Were the NHS and the police were funded adequately under Blair and Brown or is it the nasty Tories who do that.

Tories.
TM cut £400m from Police budgets and 23000 front line posts. And AIUI spending on the NHS has fallen behind inflation.

Corbyn isn't Labours only problem, the likes of Abbott, McDonnell or Tom Watson plus that nasty Momentum bunch don't inspire any confidence whatsoever that they can be trusted to run the country. Have they announced their current policy on defence now there is an election to fight?

Corbyn isn't Labours only problem, the likes of Abbott, McDonnell or Tom Watson plus that nasty Momentum bunch don't inspire any confidence whatsoever that they can be trusted to run the country. Have they announced their current policy on defence now there is an election to fight?
No formal manifesto announcements yet but according to a press release from the Shadow Home Secretary’s Office, the money tree orchards are enjoying a bumper crop this year and the forecast for the next eleventynineteen years is 'good to potato’.

No formal manifesto announcements yet but according to a press release from the Shadow Home Secretary’s Office, the money tree orchards are enjoying a bumper crop this year and the forecast for the next eleventynineteen years is 'good to potato’.
I wonder if the Trident issue will rear its head again on the manifesto or if Labour will avoid it until they get their mitts on the levers of power.

Tories.
TM cut £400m from Police budgets and 23000 front line posts. And AIUI spending on the NHS has fallen behind inflation.
Yes I know the Tories gutted police funding and has come close to it with the NHS.

The question was did Blair and Brown adequately fund the police and the NHS?

ClentBoy

War Hero
Tom Watson is absolutely hated in his own West Bromwich when I have to go down the Soho Rd on the 74 to have meetings in the town if you mention him to ordinary voters in the towns massive bus station rather than an election a lynching is more likely!

ClentBoy

War Hero
Yes I know the Tories gutted police funding and has come close to it with the NHS.

As Liam Byrne who is laughingly standing for Brum Metro Mayor famously left the message on his desk for his successor in the collation, sorry spent all the money there is none left! Brilliant Labour politics.

I think the big problem with this election will be for those who have strong views on Brexit that are not reflected by their normal MP or if they have a new candidate working out where they stand on the issue. These people, and I'm one of them, may well have to vote tactically for the right Brexit result and then suck it up for 4 years if they've got an otherwise undesired government. Given that I think this is the only chance in my lifetime to get out of the EU, I'd also most settle for any party I was sure would get us out.

As a result I don't expect to have any idea of what's going on until it's all over and I will display a hearty distrust of anyone who tells me that they do.

I don’t know what the Brexit Party is planning but it seems to me that the more Brexit/UKIP candidates there are, the more the Conservatives will lose votes. Given that the Conservatives are the only mainstream party to actually espouse leaving without further ado, I think that it’s madness for BP and UKIP to be damaging their vote, because the practical result will be a greater likelihood that other, remain leaning parties will get in.

I'd rather cut off my testicles than vote for Brexit Party. (Yeah I know they're useless anyway, that's besides the point).

Frankly, the Tories are full of shit (20k more police!!!!! to replace the 20k+ you binned and that have left because of the shit pay, shit conditions, shit overtime and shittier support when things go wrong), Brexit is a shambles because of parliament as a whole. Labour is not much better as they appear utterly aimless except they claim to be "opposition" Bored to shit with opposition politics.

Lib Dems are the party of "meh", SNP? No ta,

Not intending to vote party at all, just waiting to see what sad sacks run for my neck of the woods.

ClentBoy

War Hero
I'd rather cut off my testicles than vote for Brexit Party. (Yeah I know they're useless anyway, that's besides the point).

Frankly, the Tories are full of shit (20k more police!!!!! to replace the 20k+ you binned and that have left because of the shit pay, shit conditions, shit overtime and shittier support when things go wrong), Brexit is a shambles because of parliament as a whole. Labour is not much better as they appear utterly aimless except they claim to be "opposition" Bored to shit with opposition politics.

Lib Dems are the party of "meh", SNP? No ta,

Not intending to vote party at all, just waiting to see what sad sacks run for my neck of the woods.
Have you thought of Anna Souburys Cringe UK party mate?

Little point in discussing that here - ancient history.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer

Not much point in blaming Blair, he was applauded for sticking with Conservative spending policies when he first took up office.
Im afraid it was those who took office before them which started the rot. There’s a long held view that when the NHS started and funding was looked at it was thought that a 4% pa raise would be enough it keep it going.

There were no winter or summer crises. The 4% if it wasn’t used it sat there until it was needed, but there was rarely any talk of a health crisis.
Then someone went ‘4%, That’s a lot of money’.
And it was, it was a lot of money which was needed.

woger wabbit

War Hero
The only thing that can be confidently stated is that anyone who offers confident statements about the outcome is an idiot. I'm not able to vote any more, being an expat, and have mixed feelings about it. I'd like to have my say but there's a strong undercurrent of 'well thank Christ that isn't my problem any more'.

I'll be cheering for Boris though.

<edit> Yes, let's have a non-Brexit election thread.
You can apply for a postal vote from your previous county council, you must first apply for registration as an overseas elector once done they will send you the voters pack. I have done this and will vote. I hope this helps you to register and vote..

Themanwho

LE
Book Reviewer

In the case of NHS, Blair & Brown probably over-funded it (at the same time putting the long term kibosh on it with PPP), however the nature of the NHS as the cuckoo in the Treasury nest, means that they can always argue they are underfunded. There's always a new machine that goes "ping" or magic panacea costing a gazillion dollars which they MUST have or "billions will die". Thing is, billions will die anyway, as will we all.

woger wabbit

War Hero
Beware of the phrase " the family has always voted Labour so I will "

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M Current Affairs, News and Analysis 894
P Brexit 798
Auld-Yin Brexit 11870

Latest Threads