• Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted 24582

You've not smelled them.

I'm just selective.
You might be surprised.

We are or all were the unwashed masses at one point in life.

Granted the gentleman who looks like ten miles of dirt road, might be a millionaire.

shadowonarun

Old-Salt
Only ‘someone from your preferred Party’? How does that work then? How does this ‘someone from your preferred party' know which party is your preferred party?
Whether you vote or not is a matter of public record and all parties will know whether or not you vote and how committed you are to voting. A voter that only voted in the referendum is not worth much effort in a general or local election, a voter that votes for the Police and Crime commissioner is one that will crawl over burning coals to vote and is worth pursuing.
Every party carries out canvassing and research throughout the election cycle to find out what people think and how they are likely to vote. If you haven't answered that there are other details such as where you live, how old you are, what level of education you've reached, what you do for work and how you refuse to answer any questionnaire or door knocker that turns up, all of which give hints about how you may or may not vote. This all goes into the magic database and gives an indication of how you might vote.
It's not fool proof but it's accurate enough to get activists knocking on peoples doors in the rain.

Slime

LE
Elmo for PM.

It’s a tool, an adjustable spanner is a bit like a Corbyn, he’ll find a way of getting anything to fit his agenda.
I thought Bearded One was the hammer to McDonnell's sickle? Here's how Corbyn will deal with the economy ...

They also had a bin ready for my Polling card to be thrown in.
An attempt to stop voter fraud possibly as I never noticed one before.
No Tory so I happily voted TBP.
Allison something. She won't win unfortunately.
I'm a postal voter and have been ever since I joined the mob. I felt no need to change when I left.

My constituency is a very safe Labour seat. The odds are 1/25 for a Labour win, the Tory candidate has absolutely no chance although is most likely to come second but by a distance. It was also a leave voting area.

I voted TBP because leaving the EU has been the most important issue for me for years and I still believe BoJo's deal is little better than ex-PMTM's deal. By voting TBP my conscience is clear even though I know the candidate won't get elected. But neither will the Tory.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose one option might be to put a (unique) barcode on each polling card, have a PC connected to a central database (which already exists), allow a voter to wander into any old polling station, get their card checked, print out their local card, and let them vote.

There might be some concerns about privacy or traceability, but, TBH, with modern technology there are other ways for a government (or other organisation) to gather individual voting data that don't require being hooked into a central voting computer even if the entire thing was done digitally.
The biggest concern is electoral fraud. And given what I know privately about the security of certain government websites, that's a significant concern.

In addition, the Cloggies had a part IT based voting system. That was theoretically vulnerable to fraud - and has subsequently been changed to prevent the possibility. (Private information from the pen testing company that did the work).

Wordsmith

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
Not so much LED as Follow.

Headlights? - mad bastards. Swivel-eyed loomens, in fact.

That would be of no use whatsoever because they're driving on the wrong side of the road.

Slime

LE
I’ve watched quite a few videos this morning that show very angry Labour voters.

I might be a cynic, but what are the odds of loads of them all across the U.K. all somehow choosing identical placards, of identical size and secured to the same sized poles.

How very odd..........it’s almost like the angry mobs have been centrally organised ....................Just like the ones supplied for the Chinese communist party leader when he visited the U.K.

D

Deleted 24582

Shirt and trousers.

If you're angling for a saucy photo, its going to be a no from me.
That would be a firm no. Unless you or the wife look like Mandy Moore, I ain’t interested. Besides better eye candy can be found at the fitness center most days.

The biggest concern is electoral fraud. And given what I know privately about the security of certain government websites, that's a significant concern.

In addition, the Cloggies had a part IT based voting system. That was theoretically vulnerable to fraud - and has subsequently been changed to prevent the possibility. (Private information from the pen testing company that did the work).

Wordsmith
You're right that electoral fraud is probably the biggest concern. I'm not sure that we'll see a fraud-proof system without making compromises elsewhere. I guess voter identity is near the top of the concern list, but without some form of mandatory identity system somebody, somewhere will find a way to abuse the system.

We (as a nation) tend not to like the idea of identity cards. I don't mind the concept, as we need several forms of identity to do 'business' in modern society anyway - NI Number, UTR, Service ID, passport (with biometric data), driving licence, bus pass, credit & debit cards, library card, mobile phone, etc, etc. A national ID card with UTR & NI embedded, plus updatable fields for biometric data, passport number, driving licence and, possibly, current address would make life easier in some respects and, in today's technologically terrifying datasphere, probably not give away much of our privacy. Biometric scanning (eg, face or fingerprint) is common place and could be used to ensure that a card does belong to an individual. Public Key type encryption could be used to assure data privacy and protection, whilst allowing systems to confirm identity.

Well, that's me off for the night. Tomorrow breakfast time (for me) should be when results are becoming known, so I'll put BBC World News on. Probably not much point in ploughing through this thread at that point.

So, to the country of my birth - GOOD LUCK.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
You're right that electoral fraud is probably the biggest concern. I'm not sure that we'll see a fraud-proof system without making compromises elsewhere. I guess voter identity is near the top of the concern list, but without some form of mandatory identity system somebody, somewhere will find a way to abuse the system.

We (as a nation) tend not to like the idea of identity cards. I don't mind the concept, as we need several forms of identity to do 'business' in modern society anyway - NI Number, UTR, Service ID, passport (with biometric data), driving licence, bus pass, credit & debit cards, library card, mobile phone, etc, etc. A national ID card with UTR & NI embedded, plus updatable fields for biometric data, passport number, driving licence and, possibly, current address would make life easier in some respects and, in today's technologically terrifying datasphere, probably not give away much of our privacy. Biometric scanning (eg, face or fingerprint) is common place and could be used to ensure that a card does belong to an individual. Public Key type encryption could be used to assure data privacy and protection, whilst allowing systems to confirm identity.
All computer systems are potentiality hackable, although it maybe take massive resource to do so. That resource is available to nation states, leaving open the possibility that if China or Russia hacked into our computer system, they could change the result to one they wanted. You could have all the validation you like at the point of voting, but if someone hacked into the database where the results were being processed, it would be meaningless.

At present, because all the political parties have tellers at the respective counts, systematic fraud is difficult - and will be even more difficult when the rules on postal votes are tightened up.

Wordsmith

I've just had my pension statement through. Once upon a time it would have given me a nice income, or paid off my old mortgage. Now, no chance (thanks Gordon Brown).

If I could access the money today I'd take it and get it out of the country asap. I could always bring it home if Boris wins. However I can't access it until I'm 55, i.e. in another five years. If Labour wins I can guarantee that I'll never see a penny of it, ever.

I wasn't going to vote today, but I'm about to go and put my cross on anyone but labour purely because my local facebook page looks like the main labour election cheerleaders collective (what a bunch of bullying twats they are too, jumping on anyone who doesn't see things their way)

offog

LE
The photos of the unprecedented long queues in both the Mail and Guardian certainly don't seem to show Tory voters, unless Boris has suddenly won over the student vote. This is going to be closer than we think.
It's London, they can have a billion queueing but they still only get one seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads