General Election 2019

GE Outcome?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Which particular fact are you struggling with?
"All facts" will be good enough for government work. He's likes his own facts as well as his own opinion. The latter being the precursor of the former.

Truxx

LE
SORN simply means you have not applied for road tax and will therefore keep your car off the road.

You could own and sorn a car without a driving licence.

You could drive it around the fields for example.

Take it on the road sans licence and with SORN and you're breaking two laws. At least.
And you could own a car that is neither SORNed or licenced.

To be fair, the parliamentary Tory party appears to be in thrall to him like the Republicans to Trump.

FFS - who thinks Ken Clarke is not a Tory and should have been stripped of the whip?
Are you kidding?

"Through the door, line on the left, one comeuppance each.".

In amongst all the doom and gloom and the latest news that Labour appears to be closing the gap on the Tories, there is one silver lining which has sent me to bed with a smile on my face. Namely:

“Jo Swinson ends election campaign less popular than Jeremy Corbyn”
:grin: :-D

NSP

LE
In amongst all the doom and gloom and the latest news that Labour appears to be closing the gap on the Tories, there is one silver lining which has sent me to bed with a smile on my face. Namely:

“Jo Swinson ends election campaign less popular than Jeremy Corbyn”
:grin: :-D
Whatever else happens I hope they end up with less seats than they went in with, including Swinson's.

The relentless MSM cheerleading for Labour is working

It boggles my brain that more than a handful of deluded morons would vote for that tosser and the absolute shower that make up the shadow cabinet.

It's so depressing that I have to share the same air as these idiots.

That could get confusing - I use Prime but I don't think I'm streaming programmes live. It's all stuff that's been available for some time (i.e. archived). I suppose that if you watch the next Grand Tour from the moment it's put up you might be watching it as it's "live" but if you give it an hour and then watch it presumably you are not watching it as it goes out "live...?"

ETA: Ah, no - I get it. They're showing the footie at the moment on Prime. If I watched that as the match is being played it would be "live." If I watch it later it's on-demand streaming and not subject to a licence...?
That's already covered.

Live TV means any programme you watch or record as it’s being shown on TV or live on any online TV service. It’s not just live events like sport, news and music. It covers all programmes on any channel, including soaps, series, documentaries and even movies.

If you’re watching live TV, you need to be covered by a TV Licence:

• if you’re watching on TV or on an online TV service
• for all channels, not just the BBC
• if you record a programme and watch it later
if you watch a programme on a delay
to watch or record repeats
to watch or record programmes on +1, +2 and +24 channels
• to watch live programmes on Red Button services
• even if you already pay for cable, satellite or other TV services

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Just don't start another one on Friday asking Arrsers whether they are happy with the final result,

Otherwise someone may well start a poll nominating the best Scottish butcher to produce a rather large haggis from @Auld-Yin s innards.
Thanks for the suggestion. I will ensure you get due credit for the poll ! :)

I hope you're enjoying a frisson of excitement at the prospect of your forthcoming election. I've never been in the UK at election time so I've never experienced the sentiment that might be afoot. I'm sure the world-weariness prevalent on ARRSE is only to be expected, but is there a carnival atmosphere or is it all gimlet-eyed calculation? The mid-week polling, first-past-the-post and the five-year terms are all very different to our practice here in AU, not to mention the optional voting. Add to all that it's likely to be pretty bleak, weather-wise. All well outside my ken.

Here in the wide brown we had a general election on a Saturday in May. It's compulsory to lob and get your name marked off the roll unless you've made other arrangements like a postal vote (the popularity of which caught everyone out, with over 30% taking up that option). So we queued up in communal bonhomie and under blue skies, hoeing into our barbequed 'democracy sausages' thoughtfully provisioned by the local school P&C as a fundraiser.

After the revolving door of PM's we'd had and the increasing divergence of the two main parties platforms, the opposition Labor Party was widely expected to romp in, but as the vote count got underway it seemed Labor had been just a bit too smug, and philosophically undefined to gain the confidence and trust they needed, and their vote dropped away. So the Liberal/National coalition (probably closest to your Conservatives in outlook) swanned into their third consecutive term to their own surprise and to the quiet satisfaction of the majority who'd opted to give them another run. A bit different, eh?
And victory for the 'quiet Australians'.

Call for the Ferrets, that'll sort these commies out ;-) Labour's Karl Turner bitten by ferret while canvassing for votes
snip "Labour's Karl Turner bitten by ferret while canvassing for votes in east Hull "
In a tweet he said: “I met this young man taking his pet ferret for a walk. Bit me.
The picture shows Mr Turner wearing his red rosette, with a sheepish-looking young boy holding the ferret, which appeared to be licking its lips.
Now many social media users have been calling for the ferret to become Prime Minister."

View attachment 436015
I hope the ferret's OK.

The following is a rather interesting story from the CBC about how traditional party politics may be overturned in the upcoming election. I suppose it may not contain anything new for someone living in the UK, but I thought that some may like to read a perspective from abroad.
U.K. election: Why a Labour stronghold of half a century could fall to a pro-Brexit party

The story contains two short videos and an 18 minute audio clip which I can't embed here (due to forum software limitations). The text of the article covers much of the material, but the audio clip in particular is worth listening to in order to get more background and opinions from people being interviewed.

The story is based around a visit by CBC reporters to Hartlepool, which is used to represent how opinion is across many parts of Labour's heartlands. Hartlepool voted 69% to leave the EU.

The CBC could find little support for either Remain or Labour when interviewing people on the street. Life long Labour supporters say they won't vote Labour this time either because Leave is that important to them, or because they can't stomach Jeremy Corbyn, or for both reasons. Some will swallow the bitter (to them) pill of voting Tory, while others intend to vote for the Brexit Party.

Even those who say they voted Remain want Brexit to happen. To them, the country voted to Leave, and it if it doesn't Leave, then Britain is no longer a democracy.
"I voted remain," he said. "But it's a democracy. We voted out, we should have left. If you can't go with your vote, you've lost your democracy."

It's a strong and common sentiment in these parts. And Steve is a perfect example of just how much traditional party politics in England has been upended by Brexit.

He's voted Labour all his life, but won't this time because he can't stomach Labour Party Leader Jeremy Corbyn.

Nor can he bring himself to back the Conservatives, and he won't support the pro-EU Liberal Democrats because they've pledged to stop Brexit by revoking Article 50, which set the Brexit countdown running in the first place.

And that makes him a remain supporter who will be casting a ballot for the Brexit Party, which has parachuted its chairman, multimillionaire Richard Tice, into Hartlepool as its candidate.
Others will vote Conservative. They don't like the Conservatives, but there is no way they will vote Labour now and they think the Tories have the best chance of delivering Brexit.
Fisherman Ronnie Horn, for example, knows he'll have to make a choice between the two pro-Brexit parties and thinks the Conservatives will have the better chance.

"I don't really want to vote for Conservatives," he said, "but there's no way on this earth I'll vote for Labour."
Others intend to simply stay home and not vote.
There are some too, like bingo-goer, Rita Kelly, who say they are so disaffected by the choices in front of them that they will vote for no one.

"Women have suffered and died for the vote for women, and I feel very guilty that I'm not using my vote at the moment. But, on the other hand, I'm very careful about where I give my loyalties — and this lot don't get it."
I recommand reading the article to get a fuller development of the story. I recommend even more to listen to the audio clip, as the interviewees are given more opportunity to explain themselves, so you get a much better picture of how they feel and what their reasoning is.

The audio clip also has material which is not in the text in that it contrasts opinions in a riding in London that voted heavily Remain to Hartlepool, which voted Leave. If you don't want to hear the Remain campaigners explaining themselves, then skip ahead to the Hartlepool segment.

There are two videos. One is in Hartlepool and gives a briefer version of the interviews in the audio clip. It's not a substitute for it though, as it's too brief to really understand their point of view.

The other video is of a group of young people in the 18 to 20 age group. They seem to be vague and uncertain about what they will do. One says she will vote Labour because her family has always voted Labour. One said he will vote Lib-Dem because he likes all but one of their policies. He is so unsettled about Brexit however that it's hard to tell if the one Lib-Dem policy that he disagrees with is their policy on Brexit. All seem confused and ambivalent, while also being upset that the Brexit issue has carried for so long that they are no longer listening to it. I got the impression of them being vaguely Remain, at least in front of their friends, but they did not sound like a group of people on their way to victory. I wouldn't care to bet that any of them will actually get out to vote.

In contrast to them the Leave supporters all seem to have firm opinions and to be resolute in regards to the need to continue on with Brexit. Opinions in this area seem to have hardened. The ones who voted Leave are more determined than ever to leave, while the ones who voted Remain but have since changed their minds seem to be motivated by the principle of the matter.

My impression of the latter is they know they're not important people, and the one thing they have which shows they are the equal of any other man or woman is their vote. When they see that vote potentially being discarded, I think they see their sense of self respect being taken away from them by those who see themselves as their social superiors. This I think is what has them so agitated and elevated Brexit to a matter of principle in their eyes. This is something that those who wish to simply forget the whole thing ever happened may find difficult to fully understand.

What I found particularly interesting about this story for me is that the international media tend to be London based, as that's where the diplomatic events take place as well as the stock market and other economic news. The UK election seems to have shaken loose some budget and time allocation in this case for them to go outside of London and talk to some people on the street to get a view of things in the rest of the UK.

Overall I found it to be very interesting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads