ARRSE is supported by the advertisements on it, so if you use an adblocker please consider helping us by starting an Ad-Free subscription.

General Election 2017 - The Consequences

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Auld-Yin, Jun 8, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This thread is after all titled "Consequences" :twisted:

• Like Like x 2
  2. Isn't it though?

Just full-on "brane2page" with no filtering, checks or understanding.

3. They've just left school, which automatically makes them political pundits, and left wing voters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Conservative majority has now gone down by one

A Conservative MP has been suspended after it emerged she used a racist expression during a public discussion about Brexit.

Anne Marie Morris, the MP for Newton Abbott, used the phrase at an event in London to describe the prospect of the UK leaving the EU without a deal.

The Conservative Party later confirmed she had had the whip withdrawn.

Archie

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. She used the N word 'in a woodpile' for some inexplicable reason when it would have been more appropriate to say "...we need to discuss the elephant in the room, which is, in two years what happens if there is no deal?”.... but apparently she got flustered when she remembered that Diane Abbott was in the meeting and didn't want her to suffer another bout of pre-election nausea...

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 2
  6. I'm just waiting for Diane Abbott, to make a statement, or David Lammy, or anyone from Momentum. :D

• Like Like x 2
  7. Brotherton Lad

Brotherton Lad LE Reviewer

If they're clever they won't say a word, since there's no need to.

• Like Like x 1
  8. I see a flaw in the plan...

• Like Like x 4
  9. I do not condone what she said but against all of the mass hysteria and whipped up faux anger I make the following observations:

I listened to the scrote journo who taped this telling his story on LBC radio:
    1. he said he'd never heard this phrase before which tells me he is either very young or didn't do any research
    2. he said he couldn't believe how it 'slipped out' as it meant she must have racism programmed in her brain - as if it was impossible to unconsciously use a term or catchphrase you've heard or read - I'd like to bet that if I read any 100 of his articles I will find the same personal mannerisms and phrases used by him 'unconsciously' across the lot

The thing that has struck me most is that by him publishing this HE is the one who has actually caused maximum offense and upset.
    When you actually listen to the recording (on LBC) the womans use of the phrase was not made with any intention to be racist or in a racist context rather, she used a very old, once common phrase in a time where it can no longer be used but, most importantly for me, without malice - just stupidity.

Certainly, she should be punished by the party and given the opportunity to apologize but most of the people I heard on the radio today were basically calling for her to be sacked but even that wasn't good enough and you'd think she'd been caught red handed kiddy fiddling or something like that! - to them I'd say be careful what you wish for! who amongst us has honestly never said anything inappropriate, racist, sexist or offensive? - if people become too scared to talk then things can never be challenged!

• Like Like x 5
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  10. Brotherton Lad

You were meant to.

11. IIRC a student activist was hoist on her own petard not too long back.

I think she was calling for white men to be killed or similar stupidity.

12. To cut to the chase, you're apologising for a clearly racist remark made at a public event. It wasn't as if it was heard in private.

A long serving MP should know better. No doubt if it was a labour MP making an anti semetic remark, you'd like to see a resignation?

• Like Like x 1
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1
  13. Helm

Helm LE Book Reviewer

Wouldn't get one though would we?

14. I agree

15. Brotherton Lad

That's £100m wasted already.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Show again braincell Show again braincell x 1