General Election 2017 - The Consequences

Unfortunately we live in actual reality and not your version of it.

Please find me ONE case in modern UK politics where replacing a PM during a parliamentary term has meant the ruling party has called a General Election.

Until then just, well, since this is CA, be quiet
Never. I'm simply giving you the view that is outside this website. And, like your party's choice of PM last time, I'm pretty sure I'm right.

Erm, no. They'd have to do a no confidence vote in the house in order to get their man, or woman, in.

Because, you see, the person at the front May not necessarily be their man.....
No they don't, they can do a leadership challenge internally within the party. It takes 15% of the Conservative MPs to write to the chairman of the 1922 committee to trigger a leadership contest. No need to go to the whole house...

Meanwhile amongst the Tory youth lots of calls for Jacob Rees Mogg to run as leader. If he does become leader I suspect it would either backfire spectacularly or work really well in the same sense that Corbyn surprised us all, this election....
I think Rees-Mogg has a bit of history behind him in the financial stakes, like making speeches on certain goods like tobacco, mining, oil and gas without declaring his interest in a company that has multi-million pound stakes in these goods.
He is also known as "the member for the early 20th Century".
I like him but not sure he would be a good leader for a supposedly modern political party.

How would the government lose a confidence vote?
It would only take 7 Tory rebels to vote against something for that to happen. Not saying it would as it would seem some of the knives that were out earlier have been sheathed. Easy to drag them out again, though.

Never. I'm simply giving you the view that is outside this website. And, like your party's choice of PM last time, I'm pretty sure I'm right.
Myself, and others, are giving you examples of what has happened when a PM is kicked out by his/her party during a parliamentary term

Was there a GE when Thatcher was knifed? NO

Was there one when Blair got hoofed? NO

Was there one when Cameron quit? NO

Was there a Scottish Parliament Election when Salmod quit (he was First Minister, remember)? NO

So explain why anyone would even consider a GE should May get the Spanish Archer treatment, why would traditional processes be changed if she went?

Oh, that's the view based on reality, on precedence, on history. And you are talking absolute horsecrap

TM steps down, then whoever gets the Job has to go to the country, however they get the job. Not constitutionally but, if you aren't thinking down Tory survival lines here, because you don't have a mandate either in or outside the House. Bear in mind too that if I'm right with my timing, you won't be halfway through Brexit negotiations either.
I still don't follow. If May steps down, someone else will be elected party leader and that will be that. The Conservatives aren't going to vote against themselves in a confidence vote in order to trigger an election that they have every chance of losing, in the middle of the Brexit negotiations.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Rees Mogg is ace, and very brainy, but I do wonder if he is really a manager or indeed wants to be one. I see him as Nestor rather than Achilles.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I doubt any Tories would rebel in a vote of no confidence in the government.
Wouldn't be the first time Tory back benchers have stabbed their Party leader in the back while he/she has been weakened.

Theresa is utterly toxic, both due to her own incompetence and events that have reflected poorly on her but were outside her control, Grenfell fire etc
Anyone you don't like is "toxic" and the rest is bull. If Corbynotamus want to make hay from people's misfortune, it shows you the level they've stooped too. They could clear a snakes belly wearing a top hat

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
^ However a self-interested calculation of the result of a possible GE will come into that. No Tory with half a brain (I know, that's not all of them) will dare rock the boat. I think a lot of this stirring is just the media flying kites so as to have a story to report, or indeed inventing a story so as to get paid.

In other news Survation. Who got the polling right just published another poll
CON: 41% (-) LAB: 40% (-4) LDEM: 7% (+1) UKIP: 2% (-) GRN: 1% (+1) (via @Survation, 28-30 Jun) Chgs w 17 Jun

Labour support back to 40% again. I suspect the honeymoon period for Corbyn is starting to end..... On the other hand some of my Labour mates feel that Labour have gone too far with politicizing the grenfell towers tragedy, I wonder if their antics aren't going down well with the public...

B

benjaminw1

Many traditional Labour voters, who had switched to UKIP, simply thought that they had made their point by voting for Brexit, and could now return to Labour. PMTM miscalculated in thinking that these voters could be wooed by the Tories.
The stats seemed to show this.

B

benjaminw1

A sensible reply but it still doesn't address the escalating costs for care. There are ways to raise more money but guess what? As soon as any taxes affect anyone they go against the people who are raising taxes. See the dementia tax and the following backlash for example.

The current crop of younger voters have been jiffed with large loans if they'd gone through uni, housing is just a dream for many and the working environment has changed. They see the Tory party as looking after the elderly and business, Corbyn's their only alternative in their eyes.
So who forced them to go, the poor dears?

Civil Servants will investigate and produce many plans and options, it is the govt that chooses/decides the implementation. The CS isn't at fault.
I am sure that those at the highest CS levels can impress on Ministers real concerns and priorities and have their own agenda at times. Given, Ministers think no further ahead than tomorrows headlines, their own careers and at maximum the next GE. Bottom line the age crisis has been on the agenda for 40 to 50 years.

I am sure that those at the highest CS levels can impress on Ministers real concerns and priorities and have their own agenda at times. Given, Ministers think no further ahead than tomorrows headlines, their own careers and at maximum the next GE. Bottom line the age crisis has been on the agenda for 40 to 50 years.
Aren't the papers locked away when the new minister comes in aa well