General Election 2017 - The Consequences

I'd imagine that the conservative party think otherwise. Why else would they have kept her on?

Not because they have confidence in her leadership
That would have been the case in the immediate aftermath of the GE, particularly as they ran the campaign around her. A few months from now, it'll be seen in the same light as her taking over from Cameron or Brown taking over from Blair.

Why.

Was there a GE when Thatcher was replaced? Or Blair? Or Cameron?

Precedents are there, especially as the UK does not vote for an individual as PM.
Theresa is utterly toxic, both due to her own incompetence and events that have reflected poorly on her but were outside her control, Grenfell fire etc

If they've got any sense, they'll look at Labour's polling figures and avoid a GE like the plague.
Never mind the polls, given the amount of elections and referenda over the last few years you can be sure that if the Tories called ANOTHER GE within the next year they would get absolutely hammered. The flip side is that if Labour, etc, forced a collapse in Government and another GE they would likely feel the backlash.

Only an imbecile would want to have another GE now, they would be unlikely to "enjoy" the consequences

Never mind the polls, given the amount of elections and referenda over the last few years you can be sure that if the Tories called ANOTHER GE within the next year they would get absolutely hammered. The flip side is that if Labour, etc, forced a collapse in Government and another GE they would likely feel the backlash.

Only an imbecile would want to have another GE now, they would be unlikely to "enjoy" the consequences
Fail to have a GE on replacing PMTM and a vote of no confidence in the Government will succeed within 6 months. Hows that going to run in the subsequent GE?

Fail to have a GE on replacing PMTM and a vote of no confidence in the Government will succeed within 6 months. Hows that going to run in the subsequent GE?

Keep on dreaming, for there is no reason to hold a GE to replace a PM.

And I doubt May is going anywhere in the short term, no matter how much the Left want it to happen, as the chance was there for the Queens Speech and, well, Corbyn failed quite spectacularly there with 49 of his own people telling him to do one.

Add in the mess that Abbot presides over, and we can see it ain't the Tories in disarray

And I doubt May is going anywhere in the short term, no matter how much the Left want it to happen, as the chance was there for the Queens Speech and, well, Corbyn failed quite spectacularly there with 49 of his own people telling him to do one.

Add in the mess that Abbot presides over, and we can see it ain't the Tories in disarray
I find your optimism illuminating

Meanwhile amongst the Tory youth lots of calls for Jacob Rees Mogg to run as leader. If he does become leader I suspect it would either backfire spectacularly or work really well in the same sense that Corbyn surprised us all, this election....

Look, once again this isn't about whataboutery, this is a sharp dose of reality.

PMTM goes, the party aren't going to stand for another coronation, let alone the country. To answer your question @DeltaDog, its quite simple. Enough Tory MP's decide they'd quite like their candidate to have a crack at the top job.

Look, once again this isn't about whataboutery, this is a sharp dose of reality.

PMTM goes, the party aren't going to stand for another coronation, let alone the country. To answer your question @DeltaDog, its quite simple. Enough Tory MP's decide they'd quite like their candidate to have a crack at the top job.
then they'd at the very worst do a no confidence vote for the leader, not the government. That's a different thing.....

then they'd at the very worst do a no confidence vote for the leader, not the government. That's a different thing.....
Erm, no. They'd have to do a no confidence vote in the house in order to get their man, or woman, in.

Because, you see, the person at the front May not necessarily be their man.....

Unfortunately we live in actual reality and not your version of it.

Please find me ONE case in modern UK politics where replacing a PM during a parliamentary term has meant the ruling party has called a General Election.

Until then just, well, since this is CA, be quiet

Do not senior civil servants come in for some of the blame? ministers are politicians who come and go, some quite quickly and are not experts in what their Ministry does - well most. Civil servants are a constant, the current situation respect elderly care started end 1946 early 1947 when the baby boom was identified, they were going to get old in large numbers one day, I accept that there has been a big increase in life expectancy since then but what about 'forward planning' ? were civil servants flagging this up constantly since then?
Also, elderly care is person power intensive, no robots to do the job yet for a while! and not what I would think is a popular area of employment no matter what money your pay.
Civil Servants will investigate and produce many plans and options, it is the govt that chooses/decides the implementation. The CS isn't at fault.

I don't follow your logic. If TM stepped down, the party would hold a leadership election.
TM steps down, then whoever gets the Job has to go to the country, however they get the job. Not constitutionally but, if you aren't thinking down Tory survival lines here, because you don't have a mandate either in or outside the House. Bear in mind too that if I'm right with my timing, you won't be halfway through Brexit negotiations either.