General Election 2017 - The Consequences

Why?

The elderly want their care to be free, no matter how much it costs the government. At least the young can say that they'll be contributing to the economy, not living off their NI contributions which weren't designed to cope with the longer life expectancies we now have.
I suspect the majority of the elderly have contributed a fair bit through taxes and NI contributions over the years and could reasonably expect to have some sort of return in their dotage. A combination of medical advances, better lifestyle choices leading to improved life expectancy and successive Governments completely failing to spot the trends and not implementing any contingency plans is no fault of the current crop of OAPs.

Last edited:
Now that is the exact kind of condescending attitude towards the young that caught out the conservative party in the last GE.

Every elder generation wrongly writes off the successor generation and the elder generation dies off eventually.

Some call this the circle of life
Yeah well when I'm gone I shan't give a shit. So far the new ones do not fill me with confidence.

Why?

The elderly want their care to be free, no matter how much it costs the government. At least the young can say that they'll be contributing to the economy, not living off their NI contributions which weren't designed to cope with the longer life expectancies we now have.
No they don't, they've paid for it in the ponzi scheme- it's a contract and the fact that Governments got it wrong is their tough titty.

Because they are the ones who are using social media to spread lies. A classic is the one Prof. Brian Cox ( a rabid anti Brexiteer) spread on his twitter a/c before the last election. He is followed by more than 2.5 million on twitter and over half a million on facebook and is regarded by many of the gullible youth as being infallible. This is what he posted as TRUTH .using the alleged mistype as a rod to snipe at the conservatives. "At last a tory that tells the truth", .
James Conwyn MP, Conservative Candidate for Earlingford Abbey, tweets:
#VoteConservative if you want strong & stable leadershit.
— James Conwyn MP (@MP_JamesConwyn) June 2, 2017

Except there is A) no MP called James Conway and B) there is no constituency with that name , but the gullible took it as gospel. It is this insidious lying which was and still is, being used to brainwash the gullible and when people like Cox uses his exposure on the beeb to push his political agenda it gives such rubbish credibility with these idiots..
And god help us, momentum and their ilk want the voting age to be dropped further to 16 as they are even more gullible.
That's it? No thinking involved then, you can't even be bothered to work out that Cox retweeted something from a parody account. Here's something from his twitter account which you'd do well to take notice of

I am uncertain about many things and not always right

You've posted shit loads of absolute tosh from the Express and Mail, taking it as gospel. Go figure.

No they don't, they've paid for it in the ponzi scheme- it's a contract and the fact that Governments got it wrong is their tough titty.
"I want free money of that there tree so I'll call it what I want."

I suspect the majority of the elderly have contributed a fair bit through taxes and NI contributions over the years and could reasonably expect to have some sort of return in their dotage. A combination of medical advances, better lifestyle choices and successive Governments completely failing to spot the trends and not implementing any contingency plans is no fault of the current crop of OAPs.
A sensible reply but it still doesn't address the escalating costs for care. There are ways to raise more money but guess what? As soon as any taxes affect anyone they go against the people who are raising taxes. See the dementia tax and the following backlash for example.

The current crop of younger voters have been jiffed with large loans if they'd gone through uni, housing is just a dream for many and the working environment has changed. They see the Tory party as looking after the elderly and business, Corbyn's their only alternative in their eyes.

A sensible reply but it still doesn't address the escalating costs for care. There are ways to raise more money but guess what? As soon as any taxes affect anyone they go against the people who are raising taxes. See the dementia tax and the following backlash for example.

The current crop of younger voters have been jiffed with large loans if they'd gone through uni, housing is just a dream for many and the working environment has changed. They see the Tory party as looking after the elderly and business, Corbyn's their only alternative in their eyes.
Equally sensible! :smile:
I can empathise with the young, having two of my own, plus three grandkids. However, why can't the young (of voting age) see that the promises made by Mr Corbyn will just add to their debt mountain in years to come, if he ever gets the chance to implement his promises?
It's a buggers muddle right enough.

You cannot blame the young for not wanting to be saddled with tens of thousands of pounds of debt before they've even earned a penny.

Bear in mind that many politicians - on all sides - had their educations paid for in full and received full maintenance grants, and that the older social justice party ( Libs) broke their manifesto pledge to scrap education fees. That might make them, the young, just a little miffed with centre-right politicians.
That is a superb post.

Oh look: another one who thinks everyone is ruled by their emotions.:rolleyes:
Do try looking at the facts & the facts are that TM assuredly did NOT constantly harp on about Corbyn's proven support fro terrorists,
Er she attacked Corbyn three times in four days over terrorism at the tail end of May. And that's just the 1st page of hits I get.

As I've said, I don't expect this "honeymoon period" to last. Corbyn's real hope was defeating the QS, and that failed. Now he'll be left sniping at the sidelines and, provided the Tories play things safe, which is likely due to Brexit going on, his and his disciples continually sniping about "Evil Tories", "austerity", "rights", etc, whilst not being able to show, in the most minimal of ways, how their plans are actually feasible will turn people against them.

There's already "comments" appearing elsewhere over the nonsense being spouted by the Left over Grenfell, and how that nonsense has subsided since the likes of the tale behind Camden, a Labour council, and what looks like their "errors", is also being noticed and does point things away from the Tories in this respect.

So as time goes on, provided the Tories do keep a lid on things, the headlines for Labour will worsen and that has already been seen thanks to Chukka's ill-fated amendment and the matter of 49 Labour MP's voting against Jeremy's orders. It's not the Tories that are seen as being "divided", it's Labour and that sort of attention is likely to only increase and will likely be detrimental. You just have to see the reports of what Field-Commodore Nugget has said regarding Chukka's amendment to see how much that rift exists, and every single thing like that will now be reported no matter how small it is.

Don't get me wrong, there's no question the Tories howled it with their manifesto which could have been much, much, better written. They were complacent and I doubt they would make the same mistake in a hurry, and should Labour continue on the same "Student Union" style of politics then they will turn people off them.
You're in LaLa land. This Government will fall at the hands of one wing or the other of the Conservative party as they fail to negotiate the Brexit that either wing wants.

She's already had her Gypsies warning over the abortion issue. All it took was the merest hint of some cross bench consensus and we were off to the races. After the GE I said she'd probably get to the end of the Brexit process. Honestly? I'd now be amazed if we weren't all trooping through our polling stations again sometime next spring now.

I suspect the majority of the elderly have contributed a fair bit through taxes and NI contributions over the years and could reasonably expect to have some sort of return in their dotage. A combination of medical advances, better lifestyle choices and successive Governments completely failing to spot the trends and not implementing any contingency plans is no fault of the current crop of OAPs.
Do not senior civil servants come in for some of the blame? ministers are politicians who come and go, some quite quickly and are not experts in what their Ministry does - well most. Civil servants are a constant, the current situation respect elderly care started end 1946 early 1947 when the baby boom was identified, they were going to get old in large numbers one day, I accept that there has been a big increase in life expectancy since then but what about 'forward planning' ? were civil servants flagging this up constantly since then?
Also, elderly care is person power intensive, no robots to do the job yet for a while! and not what I would think is a popular area of employment no matter what money your pay.

You're in LaLa land. This Government will fall at the hands of one wing or the other of the Conservative party as they fail to negotiate the Brexit that either wing wants.

She's already had her Gypsies warning over the abortion issue. All it took was the merest hint of some cross bench consensus and we were off to the races. After the GE I said she'd probably get to the end of the Brexit process. Honestly? I'd now be amazed if we weren't all trooping through our polling stations again sometime next spring now.
The cabinet have been sharpening their knives in preparation for the eventual blood letting once the government falls.

The murmurs of desent in the press by BJ, PH etc al are testament to this

Thanks mate, been feeling a bit down because of the pain and you cheered me up no end

May going won't necessarily trigger a GE.

Latest Threads