General Election 2017 - The Consequences

Your point was the condescending attitude shown by the Tories towards the young.

You however show no evidence of it.

My point was the young being persuaded to vote for Corby by promises made for free education rather than any condescension by the Conservatives.

Your point was the condescending attitude shown by the Tories towards the young.

My point was the young being persuaded to vote for Corby by promises made for free education rather than any condescension by the Conservatives.
You show no evidence of your assertion.

Many people on this board and in the wider electorate have accepted that the Tories dropped the ball with their manifesto with the young and old alike

We are both sharing opinions. We should agree to disagree

By "the young" it is interesting to note that the Tory vote dropped in all the under 45 age range, not just the 18-25 range.
But about 60% of the 18-24 range voted for Labour while 60% of over 65s voted Conservative.
The middle class voters (ABC1) increased their vote for Labour by 12% whilst the so-called working class (C2DE) increased their vote for the Conservatives by 12%.
Maybe UK is being split by age now instead of class divisions.
Unfortunately the link is The Guardian but there is another one on yougov.uk which backs it up although the age ranges are slightly different.

By "the young" it is interesting to note that the Tory vote dropped in all the under 45 age range, not just the 18-25 range.
But about 60% of the 18-24 range voted for Labour while 60% of over 65s voted Conservative.
The middle class voters (ABC1) increased their vote for Labour by 12% whilst the so-called working class (C2DE) increased their vote for the Conservatives by 12%.
Maybe UK is being split by age now instead of class divisions.
Unfortunately the link is The Guardian but there is another one on yougov.uk which backs it up although the age ranges are slightly different.
The move in the middle class vote was largely generated by the 'dementia tax' proposals.

You cannot blame the young for not wanting to be saddled with tens of thousands of pounds of debt before they've even earned a penny.

Bear in mind that many politicians - on all sides - had their educations paid for in full and received full maintenance grants, and that the older social justice party ( Libs) broke their manifesto pledge to scrap education fees. That might make them, the young, just a little miffed with centre-right politicians.

You cannot blame the young for not wanting to be saddled with tens of thousands of pounds of debt before they've even earned a penny.

Bear in mind that many politicians - on all sides - had their educations paid for in full and received full maintenance grants, and that the older social justice party ( Libs) broke their manifesto pledge to scrap education fees. That might make them, the young, just a little miffed with centre-right politicians.
Elsewhere I had a 'disucssion' with someone who should know better on this very subject. The 70's were being painted as nigh on the end of the world "three day week" etc...as if it lasted the whole decade.

There was no need to do this but the poster persisted and I was put in the position of having to remind the poster that her education was paid for and housing was relatively affordable. I'd much rather have been slagging off Corbyn TBH.

look at the swings towards the tories in many Labour heartlands. Look at the few seats the Tories gained from Labour.
It maybe just perception but it appears that Labour is now the party of Muslims, the non working class (including the public sector), the Islington chattering classes, hipsters and the rich

Ironically the main Tory support seems to be the working class and the middle class

It maybe just perception but it appears that Labour is now the party of Muslims, the non working class (including the public sector), the Islington chattering classes, hipsters and the rich

Ironically the main Tory support seems to be the working class and the middle class
Which is how it should be but the perception persists and will be perpetuated unless the Conservative Party changes back to its proper One Nation values.

So you didn't bother reading the links about how people voted, then? If you look carefully, you'll see the middle classes turned to Labour.
Looking at how you perceive people voted, Muslims (all of them including those under voting age) make up 4.4% of the UK. The unemployed make up 4.8% of which at least half will be in the first group so we have about 6% so far. Then you say the public sector so I assume you mean the Forces as well? There were over 31,000,000 employed in the UK of which 5,000,000 are in the public sector so that's 16 percent of which many will also be in the first groups.
So far about 20% which must mean a hell of a lot of Islington chattering classes, hipsters and rich people to make up the percentage Labour got in the last GE.
Of course, it would get even higher if you took out those who voted for the other parties.

You got the Braincell rather than the like for the usual Portrayal of brexit voters being anti immigrant hating the EU and nationalist.
There, there, dry your eyes snowflake. You're making my shoulder all wet with this dripping.

You really should read my post rather than responding to what you think is there. I made no mention of being anti-immigrant, EU hating or nationalism. I mentioned the mythical Schroedinger's immigrant who manages to do two mutually exclusive things.

But you can blame the young for not having the intelligence to realise that their free stuff has to be paid for, and that they will be the ones paying for the free education for future generations.

But you can blame the young for not having the intelligence to realise that their free stuff has to be paid for, and that they will be the ones paying for the free education for future generations.
Why?

The elderly want their care to be free, no matter how much it costs the government. At least the young can say that they'll be contributing to the economy, not living off their NI contributions which weren't designed to cope with the longer life expectancies we now have.

Latest Threads