General Election 2017 - The Consequences

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Polls are due to close and all will be revealed in the next few hours.

The GE thread is huge but now out of date so here is a new one to discuss (remember this is CA so no fun) the consequences of the result!

Labour win!!! ? FFS let me out of here.

Tory win but not with any real increase in majority - PMTM becomes ex-PMTM.

Tories with huge majority - all benefits stopped, tax cuts for anyone with a Tory party membership card. Donations to Tory HQ repaid £ for £ through tax rebates!

Hung parliament and we all go through this again in October/November!

Well?

Sixty

ADC
Book Reviewer
Exit Poll on Ch4 - Hung Parliament.

Yikes.

Latest poll on BBC one suggests conservatives will be largest party but not getting the 326 seats majority.

Hung parliament would be interesting or disastrous?

I feel physically sick st potential long term consequences right now.

Lets not get ahead of ourselves.... but HOW?? 150 seat majority was on the cards.... 150 seat majority!!

Disaster! Snap election and not engaging with face to face tv appearances have blown up in her face.

Biggest consequence for me is a total lack of faith in any politician.....I voted conservative... but not with any enthusiasm .... they have lost the support of many middle income hard working people...trouble is the alternative was Corbyn... would probably of gone UKIP if the Cons had not cocked up their campaign so badly.
T May will now be remembered as the PM who misread the voters almost as badly as the previous PM .....now THAT is an achievement

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
The pounds collapsed, after the exit polls came out it looked like it fell of Dover Cliffs.
My god I really feel that I need a hug but the wife's gone to bed.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Better start learning the words of The Internationale

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
A hung parliament will ensue the most chaotic brexit imaginable.
There will be no Brexit if the Tories don't get in with a working majority. IMHO.

There will be no Brexit if the Tories don't get in with a working majority. IMHO.
Interesting.

There are enough remain MPs (most of them?) who would argue that the GE was about a mandate for brexit.

Enough to reverse A50? Or seriously scupper any more brexit related votes in parliament?

I think you might be right there. Indeed, couldn't help noticing many of the remaining moderate "big hitters" on both benches (Benn, Cooper, Davis, Johnson) stayed remarkably low profile during this campaign.

Rather reminds me of Maj Jimmy Scott in the recently debated "Tunes of Glory", perhaps for similar reasons...

A forecast of 266 seats for Labour probably indicates that the country is now beyond saving. If that many people seriously want a Marxist state and limitless public expenditure, then there is probably no reasonable prospect of any government rebalancing the economy and getting it into a sustainable state.

Not at all surprised about the Tories' disastrous bungle though, they've alienated far too much of middle England...

The pounds collapsed, after the exit polls came out it looked like it fell of Dover Cliffs.
My god I really feel that I need a hug but the wife's gone to bed.
It's down just over 2c against the dollar and already on the way back up according to CNBC's live tracker

GBP/USD Stock Quote and News (GBP=:Exchange) - CNBC

Not quite day after Brexit territory yet.

Can't see it. He's even more despised than May after his time at Education.

Latest Threads