General Election 08 Jun 17

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by alfred_the_great, Apr 18, 2017.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. Conservative

634 vote(s)
    70.7%
  2. Liberal Democrat

57 vote(s)
    6.4%
  3. UKIP

47 vote(s)
    5.2%
  4. Labour

47 vote(s)
    5.2%
  5. Green

11 vote(s)
    1.2%
  6. Other

27 vote(s)
    3.0%
  7. I won't vote

57 vote(s)
    6.4%
  8. SNP

17 vote(s)
    1.9%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One thing that absolutely has to change as a result of this Election is the power held by unelected 'advisors' or Chiefs of Staff. In the case of Theresa May it is Fiona Hill and Nick Timothy who have been pulling her strings along with Lynton Crosby her 'strategist' who really does need to fall on his sword. Blair had Alistair Campbell and Cameron had his own circle of unelected cronies.
    This has resulted in sofa Government by the few, with fellow Cabinet Ministers being marginalised or excluded completely from the decision making process. The now infamous Tory 2017 Manifesto being a classic case in point.
    The total disappearance of the Tory front bench from the Election campaign being another example of how isolated and detached Team May was from her own party.
    Despite comments of support from some of her MPs this morning, there will be blood in the weeks ahead, led by the likes of that harridan Soubry and quite frankly, they deserve everything that is coming their way because of a dire, arrogant campaign.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 2
  2. With Nigel Farage returning?

He clearly stated that if Brexit was in rocky waters he would make a return.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. The Telegraph I think, claimed TB was engineering a Labour Party split after the Election: in talks with Labour donor and Hull City boss Assem Allam - futile hopes of bribing Labour rebels to form a new party as an antidote to Jeremy Corbyn. Looks like Mr Blair's bubble has burst and the doors have closed, doesn't it.

• Like Like x 2
  4. You say that but part of our modern celebrity culture is you have to be seen out there flogging yourself so debates et al need to be attended. If you compare how Ruth Davidson ran the campaign in Scotland with a lot more pro active hands on approach and how TM went about it from a lofty position they've a lot to learn.
    Remember if all else fails we have the calming words of the mogster saying "nothing much has changed"

5. The problem is half the opposition using these platforms fielding arguments that consist of "NAZI", "BIGOT" and "Da 1%" whilst stirring up hashtag witchhunts and blocking anyone trying to talk sense to them. Take into account that social media platforms themselves are NOT impartial. Faceache and Twitter are infamous for blocking commentators anywhere to the right of Stalin and youtube is now owned by google who keep turning the TOS thumbscrews, and have lately been selectively demonitising videos by political commentators. Take a guess which ones.

And should you try to take this opposition into the realms of the real world in the form of protests or seminars, you can look forwards to ANTIFA cretins assaulting your audience en-mass.

I absolutely agree they need to work on their PR, but they're probably going to need a either a bespoke platform to do it on or find a way to cut the cancer and let people speak their opinions openly without being socially ostricised or it will be entirely an uphill battle.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. It would appear he's needed because May is about to put Brexit at risk by trying to attack it with Zero credibility.

7. Not just a pretty face, eh?

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Sincerely hope so;) if only to add a layer of straight talking non compromising ingredients into the current deadly cake mix of confusion & sabre rattling. Weapons grade honest opinions are sadly lacking today.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Sorry but the Tories need to stop blaming the opposition and pointing the finger at the other guy. Quite frankly it's pathetic and everything wrong with their campaign.

All I've heard whenever May has been challenged is "yeah but Corbyn is worse" or "she's the best of what's left" and the same goes for the wider party debate.

Who the hell wants to vote for someone that negative?

If the tories want to move forward they need to stop concentrating on what the opposition are doing and start addressing their own game.

In short, when everything around you is going t1ts up, look in the mirror.

Oh and they need a vote of no confidence in their leader... today.

• Like Like x 2
  10. No sugar and no biscuits. 'A fine kettle of fish' as the late Queen Mary once said.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Whose Queens speech would also be voted down....

12. Main problem is that TM can't change her attitude to any great degree without appearing even worse than she has been so far. Basically she's well and truly blown it with the electorate.

13. They have only themselves to blame for this b*lls up, there is no denying that. However I will contend that their ability to reach audiences on these platforms is already stymied. The shy tory effect is a well known phenonenon and only seems to be getting more prevalent.

It is very hard to try to discuss the nuances of ideas, be they good or bad when your platform gets drowned in crap the second you take the lectern.

• Like Like x 3
  14. But what is your point?
    The tories won the election.
    BUT, this morning labour supporters have been on the radio saying that (by coming second) its proved Corbyn can win an election!
    There have also been LOTS of them saying they hope the Brexit negotiations are messed up and we get a bad deal.

Regardless of any party loyalty any voter who wants a bad deal for their country is a bit thick.
    I can.
    People will swallow more promises of jam tomorrow but as much as those same people wonder why the effects of Brexit haven't been seen (while not realising we haven't Brexited yet)

• Like Like x 4
  15. Shy Tory?

I don't buy it. Not under the safety blanket that Brexit provided.

I've got plenty of mates who made no bones about admitting to voting Tory in the interests of getting a good Brexit mandate and they live in mining towns.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.