General Duties

What did the Trade Group 10 General Duties airman actually do and when were they disbanded , someone mentioned they were a general duties airman and i just wondered what an earth was their job day to day

What did the Trade Group 10 General Duties airman actually do and when were they disbanded , someone mentioned they were a general duties airman and i just wondered what an earth was their job day to day
They used to drive the bomber crews out to the aircraft at dusk, fück off down the NAAFI, get pished and pick up what was left later. The best job in the Air Force.

They manned the guard room and did the tannoy tests, stood outside the mess at scoff o'clock and took your name if you had a button undone. The SAC's also insisted you call them staff when they were talking to you even when you were a higher rank than them. They were the Station Warrant Officer's bitches and just general dogsbodies.

MT used to drive the crew to the frames at Lyneham when I was there from 92 onwards, though I think sometimes they would pick up from the quarters. Funnily enough the pan trash had to make their own way to work each day.

RP

They manned the guard room and did the tannoy tests, stood outside the mess at scoff o'clock and took your name if you had a button undone. The SAC's also insisted you call them staff when they were talking to you even when you were a higher rank than them. They were the Station Warrant Officer's bitches and just general dogsbodies.
You took the words out of my mouth. They were so thick, even the aircrew noticed.

top lads, in that they were sent en masse to Stanley and did all the shit jobs, that we would have got dicked for on working parties,

You took the words out of my mouth. They were so thick, even the aircrew noticed.
They were too thick to be Flight Line Mechanics, who had roughly the same job (sweeping up, making brews) but were around aeroplanes.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

weren't they locally recruited?
No. They were recruited from anywhere and everywhere.

At Leuchars, the SWO's cpl had previously served in the Irish Army and even had UN medals from when he served in the Congo and other places where the UN had tried to keep the peace. Bit of a legend was Paddy - he had to do a tannoy for something that was happening at 13.30. He had great difficulty getting his tongue round the "thi" of thirteen and thirty - it came out as "turteen turty". Eventually, after several attempts, he gave up and said , live on the tannoy "Fcuk it. Fourteen hundred". @Graculus may remember him - he (Paddy, not Graculus) married a fisherman's daughter from Pittenweem. Her name was Doris Dick.

No. They were recruited from anywhere and everywhere.

At Leuchars, the SWO's cpl had previously served in the Irish Army and even had UN medals from when he served in the Congo and other places where the UN had tried to keep the peace. Bit of a legend was Paddy - he had to do a tannoy for something that was happening at 13.30. He had great difficulty getting his tongue round the "thi" of thirteen and thirty - it came out as "turteen turty". Eventually, after several attempts, he gave up and said , live on the tannoy "Fcuk it. Fourteen hundred". @Graculus may remember him - he (Paddy, not Graculus) married a fisherman's daughter from Pittenweem. Her name was Doris Dick.
Feck aye, didn't they use to give him deliberately difficult tannoy announcements?

Feck aye, didn't they use to give him deliberately difficult tannoy announcements?
Yup! That's the man -"Yous have to call me 'Sorrh' cos Oi'm actin SWO". Those tannoys were saved for afternoons as Paddy (real name Henry) was well known for having a couple or three pints in the Cpl's Club at lunchtimes (those happy days when the bar was open at lunchtimes). Paddy had a thick accent from Tralee or somewhere round those parts and was unintelligible at the best of times. If I remember correctly, one of the guardroom SACs had to repeat the tannoys after Paddy's attempts.

Ahh, GD Clerks and tannoy tests, we had a lad, whose surname name began with a D, do the tannoy test. The test was something like this;
"Stand by for broadcast, this is a test of the station tannoy.
One, two, three, four, five.
Five, four, three, two, one.
End of test, end of broadcast".

His tannoy test was heard one day;
Five, four, two......er bollocks,... three, two, one.
End of test, end of broadcast.

As bored pan trash up to no good, we would ring the guardroom on the phone that was located next to the tannoy microphone whenever we heard him on the tannoy. The daft sod never did learn to lift the handset whenever he used the tannoy.

As Orderly SNCO or Guard Commander, I would record all my tannoy broadcasts on my phone to play over the tannoy and ensure that all phones nearby were off the hook.

RP.

My favourite tannoy memory:

‘Standby for broadcast...standby for...how the f*** does this thing work?’

Regards,
MM

Ahh, GD Clerks and tannoy tests, we had a lad, whose surname name began with a D, do the tannoy test. The test was something like this;
Five, four, three, two, one.
End of test, end of broadcast".

His tannoy test was heard one day;
Five, four, two......er bollocks,... three, two, one.
End of test, end of broadcast.

As bored pan trash up to no good, we would ring the guardroom on the phone that was located next to the tannoy microphone whenever we heard him on the tannoy. The daft sod never did learn to lift the handset whenever he used the tannoy.

As Orderly SNCO or Guard Commander, I would record all my tannoy broadcasts on my phone to play over the tannoy and ensure that all phones nearby were off the hook.

RP.
even better wait till the groupie started his "lessons have been learnt" speech at endex

Latest Threads