General Dannat calls for another brigade

In today 's Sunday Telegraph online there is a piece by General Dannat. I've not mastered hyperlinks to a mobile so in summary here goes:
1. British people are war weary and war wary
2. Despite 1, it's an uncertain world
3. Russia are in the ascendancy in Syria and Crimea
4. Decisions taken for SDSR in 2010 were against a background of 1 above and no visible threat with focus on equipment rather than manpower.
5. Threats can appear on the radar screen with little or no warning ie Falklands GW1 Iraq etc
6. With Regular Army being reduced to 80,000 and consequent increase in Reserves it may be timely for raising level of Regular establishment.
7. An increase of 3000 - a brigade - to be forward deployed in Germany as a measure of our commitment in these in certain times.

Not sure that the Germans or indeed NATO would go for the forward deployment.Todays politicos tend to be either disinterested or naïve when it comes to Russian intentions to regain influence and ground.

The numbers make sense to me Its only some of the armour / arty and CSS bits required, the infantry (and some arty / armour) exist and can be pulled from the adaptable brigades.

I bet every essay written by the more "thrusting" students at staff college over the next few months will have the word: "landscape" in them, probably twice.

1, Post T1-4 do we have any remaining manpower to add to the 2 Bde's that Mr Carter's ever so wise model has planned out?

2, Unless the 3,000 Bde (minus CSS) will be backfilled by AR to make a 3rd 5,000 Bde?

3, An additional Bde has to justified & be approved by the treasury of which the Deployable & Adaptable Bde's already are.

llech

LE
What the **** is a brigade going to do against the Russians? Even at cold war levels the UK were bit part players.

ugly

LE
The numbers make sense to me Its only some of the armour / arty and CSS bits required, the infantry (and some arty / armour) exist and can be pulled from the adaptable brigades.
Could a Bde be formed on the reforger principle where you have a caretaker unit forward with the kit and fly in mobilised troops?

ugly

LE
Could a Bde be formed on the reforger principle where you have a caretaker unit forward with the kit and fly in mobilised troops?

Not sure that the Germans or indeed NATO would go for the forward deployment.Todays politicos tend to be either disinterested or naïve when it comes to Russian intentions to regain influence and ground.
They would both absolutely love it. The Germans still want NATO troops on their soil, as it is an extremely effective method of channeling foreign taxpayers money into German coffers. NATO (Especially the USA) would see it as an encouraging sign of increasing 'European' commitment to their own defence and it would be an example to the others, at exactly the right time.

They would both absolutely love it. The Germans still want NATO troops on their soil, as it is an extremely effective method of channeling foreign taxpayers money into German coffers. NATO (Especially the USA) would see it as an encouraging sign of increasing 'European' commitment to their own defence and it would be an example to the others, at exactly the right time.
Why Germany though if we intend to wind up Vlad then Poland would really get him flexing.

ugly

LE
Why Germany though if we intend to wind up Vlad then Poland would really get him flexing.
Perhaps we could sub out the actual soldiering to our current hard working visitors, they may appreciate a couple of years at home on UK wages and there would be less cultural issues!!!!

Yokel

LE
Perhaps we could sub out the actual soldiering to our current hard working visitors, they may appreciate a couple of years at home on UK wages and there would be less cultural issues!!!!
A foreign legion?

Wouldn't they need to beef up the command & control? Say move HQ to a purpose built facility far to the West? Somewhere in the woods around Moenchengladbach?

And wouldn't they need more transport? Perhaps build some RAF bases in the same area.

I guess they'd need a new garrison for this brigade. Perhaps there are towns full of military barracks that could be used? e.g. Osnabrueck, Muenster, Hamm, Detmold, Herford.

Maybe they'd need a hospital to look after them. Say Hannover, Wegberg, Rinteln, Iserlohn, Muenster.

It would pretty much have to be North West Germany. The 'Not one inch Eastward' Policy means we can't set up in any of the 'new NATO member' states. The 4+2 deal means that E. Germany is out of the question. In Germany itself we would need to be close to ports etc. in case of an expeditionary op. So as mentioned.....Herford, Hohne, Osnabruck.

On the other hand, Poland might be a goer. It already has a few NATO organisations on its soil and has plenty of cheap training space. To be fair though, it is not that good for quality of life....but to re-iterate, it is cheap.

Isn`t it amazing that these chaps only come out with these ideas once retired.
Even more amazing are those chaps whom copy a unproven plan and will be unaccountable for it's actions and results & has far wider implications for those below them it affects.

This pattern of behaviour really seems to be the way forward.
The next time my boss asks me for my two pence worth on the state of his 'organisation' I shall inform him that in the finest traditions of the British Army I'm saving all my opinions for my retirement.......
In 2038 I'll telephone him to let him know what a cnut he was in 2014.

ugly

LE
This pattern of behaviour really seems to be the way forward.
The next time my boss asks me for my two pence worth on the state of his 'organisation' I shall inform him that in the finest traditions of the British Army I'm saving all my opinions for my retirement.......
In 2038 I'll telephone him to let him know what a cnut he was in 2014.
Best of all say nothing and then write a book based on the magical 20 20 hindsight that comes with an index linked pension!

Latest Threads