General Advice Please

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Reserve Recruitment' started by Med2009, Oct 16, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi,
    I originally wanted to join a medical squadron as an MSO. I have just finished my selection weekend today, which I passed. However, after learning a bit more about different units, training and the TA, I am more inclined to join and infantry unit. I could do this, as I met all the requirements for infantry selection.
    I have a few questions about this:

1) what are the chances of me being offered commission with 4 yorks?
    2) seeing as I went to selection with 250 medical, how easy would it be to convert accross? I have not signed anything yet, and would like to meet the start of training in 6 weeks.
    3) Should I speak to the medical squadron first, or 4 yorks?
    4) Would this be held against me at all in the future, if I want to become a medical officer? (I am studying medicine). As in will it piss too many people off?

Thank you.
    Med2009

2. General Advice? Might be hard to find, might get Lt Col advice if you are lucky, more likely major or capt advice, probably a lot of sarn't advice though.

My advice? I have not got any advice but if you get 2/Lt advice treat it with extreme caution; but do have fun!

3. Personally I'd go with SSgt advice. Make your feckin mind up Princess.

4. Sorry, but the advice forum is only for people who want to know about buying their own uniform/weapon/warhorse, internet connections, or questions like "I'm agoraphobic, can I only fight indoors?"

5. I'm dyslexic - does that mean I'll have to go to have to go to raw?

• Like Like x 1
  6. Dog only knows.

7. Ckufed fi I kwon

8. Ask 4 Yorks. If they don't want you, you still have 250 Medical. If they do want you, tell 250 Medical.

Having joined 4 Yorks, if you decide later that you want to want to be a Medic, ask 250 Medical. If they don't want you, you still have 4 Yorks. If they say yes, tell 4 Yorks.

9. How about he/she joins the OTC which will allow him/her to play soldiers and earn a bit of beer money, without b*ggering up his/her medical degree, which is probably costing mummy and daddy an arm and a leg!

10. No, no, no! He can only join OTC with an undeclared conviction for drugs. Then he has to come here, ask stupid, pointless questions and be flamed to a crisp.

11. Sorry, I forgot!

Must resist the temptation to give sensible advice.

12. Hang on, what about if I committed a murder, under the influence of drugs, and didn't get caught? Do I have to give myself up to the recruiter?
    Confused of Tunbridge Wells.

13. Not if committed within 60 seconds of waking up!

14. You were sensible on ANOTHER thread too. I won't mention which one though.

15. OTC wasn't one of the OP's options. Besides, which year is he in? Too late to join OTC? (and I say "he" as he'd have a job to get in 4 Yorks otherwise, I believe). Or maybe the prospect of 60 miles each way is a bit daunting? (Hull-Leeds)