General advice needed on when to join etc

Discussion in 'Join the Army - Regular Soldier Recruitment' started by Nicola1, May 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi, i'm a 21 year old female, graduating uni this summer with a 2:1 and have decided on the army but am unsure on when is best to join. I have plans on and off for the summer and would quite like a couple of months off, but don't want to leave it til September to apply only to find there's lots of waiting round with applications and things. Is it best to get the ball rolling soon or wait until September when I am completely free?

Also, is it necessary for me to know when I apply exactly what I want to do? Or will I get ideas/guidance through the entry tests/assessments?

Any advice would be appreciated!
  2. You get alot of information on different career paths after you've done the BARB test. I'd start your application now because it takes a few months to get to the selection center.
  3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

If you are still at Uni, suggest you go and visit your OTC who will be able to help you with info on how to join.

Timetable is up to you ultimately so don't worry about that too much. However, I dare say the OTC crowd will be able help you there as well. It is likely there will be other candidates to speak to there too.

Good luck
  4. Thanks for the replies. I've had a quick look and seen there's a few jobs women aren't allowed to do; do i have a fair shot at everything else though? My GCSEs and A Levels are all good and i'm working on the fitness side of things too.
  5. It's good to let the Army know you want to join, so when you finish uni you can join straight away.
  6. They seemed to very flexible, so if you applied now they would get the ball rolling but dates for selection and intake are worked around you.

So if you have plans you can tell them your earliest intake date and prior to that the dates your available for selection etc!

They worked my dates around a pre-booked holiday in the summer.

Good luck!
  7. There's this Corps called the Royal Engineers, you might have heard of it, but they'll aquaint you nicely with your results and degree, and you'll truly be able to use your intelligence ;)

8. No Corps let that happen :wink:
  9. So, you are graduating this summer with a 2:1 and you can string three words together. Why aren't you thinking about Sandhurst?

10. If you have (or are about to get) a degree, then give Sandhurst a thought. I'm sure your careers office will nudge you in that direction anyway.

That said, if you decide that's not for you, there's no reason why you shouldn't join as a soldier - but be prepared for a fair bit of banter about having been to university!

Both processes - getting into Sandhurst or joining as a soldier - take some time - visit your careers office and start the ball rolling now. And cheapseats gave some good advice - your university OTC is a good place to find out more information.
  11. To be honest I don't think I really have the leadership skills for Sandhurst. I'm in the middle of exams now but once they're over i'll definitely get the ball rolling. Thanks for the advice!
  12. "Argue for your limitations and they are yours."

Jonathan Livingstone Seagull by Richard Bach.

Good Luck with the exams and then research Sandhurst.