Gender equality except for criminals - Hariett Harman MP

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Harriett HarPERSON, please, you sexist brutes.

Notice how SpecOps - the ex magistrate, denigrates everyone (except for one arrser) as 'daily star' readers?
Perhaps we; the great unwashed, have no business in questioning the 'moral authority' of the judiciary, and that we should just get back to eating our potato peelings.

Not really so.

I just dislike simple answers to complex questions and it's good shorthand to call it "Sun/Star reader" thinking.

I have no idea about your personal hygiene regime.

Not really so.

I just dislike simple answers to complex questions and it's good shorthand to call it "Sun/Star reader" thinking.

I have no idea about your personal hygiene regime.
Not really. It shows a sense of 'superiority' and contempt for the opinion of these sun/star readers, who you believe that you are above. Well that's the way that I'm reading it anyway.

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
Hence the "create the fear of prison" line.

Unfortunately, there are those who don't, and never will, fear going to prison; either because they think they won't be caught, or because they simply don't care and should be culled.

Some need punishment. Some need help.
FOC

ugly

LE
The serving of the sentence is what you make of it, the actual sentence is the punishment, imagine your brief telling you its all ok and not to worry and the judge gives you 22 years to think about what your brief meant!

Some bad bastards should be given a 7.62 [9 mm optional ] but all in prisons should leave thinking,
"freck this I don't want to come back in here",
I'd make prison so bad that even the sight of the place would make them puke

Last edited:
Some bad bastards should be given a 7.62 [9 mm optional ] but all in prisoners should leave thinking,
"freck this I don't want to come back in here",
I'd make prison so bad that even the sight of the place would make them puke
Stick them in a padded cell, and employ someone to read out all the posts from the Brexit threads

Make sure they can't cover the speakers

This is why women of birthing age always turn up to court pregnant, the old ones have a wheelchair
Dreadful. Didn't the pirate Ann Bonny 'plead the belly' to avoid hanging?

I watched Black Sails for the plot. Not the violence and lesbian sex. Obvs.

Not really. It shows a sense of 'superiority' and contempt for the opinion of these sun/star readers, who you believe that you are above. Well that's the way that I'm reading it anyway.

It's not intended like that, well, maybe in a spirit of mischief a bit.

This question about sentences for mums; been there on that bench.

Young woman in for shoplifting.

Taking food because she had no money at all-not everyone on benefits is living a millionaire life.

She had 3 young kids, feckless father had walked out. I'm sure she'd messed up but the reports (not her sob story) said basically she was struggling with iirc a 18 month, 3 year old and 5 year old, no family nearby and cut off by in laws.

Nicked food and Pampers nappies.

Community service? Takes her away from kids.

Jail? Great idea that'll help the children thrive.

Fine? Duh... no.

The sensible thing to do would be to make sure she had enough income to be a proper mum.

Discuss.

Last edited:
It's not intended like that, well, maybe in a spirit of mischief a bit.

This question about sentences for mums; been there on that bench.

Young woman in for shoplifting.

Taking food because she had no money at all-not everyone on benefits is living a millionaire life.

She had 3 young kids, feckless father had walked out. I'm sure she'd messed up but the reports (not her sob story) said basically she was struggling with iirc a 18 month, 3 year old and 5 year old, no family nearby and cut off by in laws.

Nicked food and Pampers nappies.

Community service? Takes her away from kids.

Jail? Great idea that'll help the children thrive.

Fine? Duh... no.

The sensible thing to do would be to make sure she had enough income to be a proper mum.

Discuss.
If she isn't able to cope with her kids without resorting to crime, then the care system is there for a reason. Also maybe compulsory sterilization.
Funny how I don't recall that too many mothers when I was growing up resorted to crime. And I grew up in one of the most deprived areas in the UK, never mind London.

Nothing on internet apart from this from January.

Protecting children whose mothers are in prison

Hariett isn't happy about the number of short sentences that are handed out which deny the right to family life, unduly affect children and aren't that effective.

Not if you're a man obviously. You deserve jail time. But if you're a woman and a mother who commits a crime it's bad...

For the record I believe that the punishment and rehabilitation system in this country needs shaking up. I just don't think it benefits anyone saying that you can be treated with more leniency if you're a mother.
Here's some interesting . . facts.

Harperson says. . .
Most children with a dad in prison can stay at home with their mother, but only 5% of children whose mums go to prison stay in the family home.
and the Prison Reform says

1560861429157.png

but wait, if 80% are not lone parents, where's the fathers?

If you want to weep into your pint about the impact on children of mothers going to prison, then read on.
http://www.prisonreformtrust.org.uk/portals/0/documents/what about me.pdf

Strangely it mentions nothing of why these mothers got to prison in the first place and how to avoid that.

Latest Threads