Gender equality except for criminals - Hariett Harman MP

Nothing on internet apart from this from January.

Protecting children whose mothers are in prison

Hariett isn't happy about the number of short sentences that are handed out which deny the right to family life, unduly affect children and aren't that effective.

Not if you're a man obviously. You deserve jail time. But if you're a woman and a mother who commits a crime it's bad...

For the record I believe that the punishment and rehabilitation system in this country needs shaking up. I just don't think it benefits anyone saying that you can be treated with more leniency if you're a mother.

Last edited:
Surely the answer is, and I know this is crazy talk, but 'Don't commit a crime'. I've managed to go mumblemumble years on this planet without ending up in a court of law. Surely if my lazy fat, white, male ass can manage it, some of these ladies can?

Just a thought, but I'll accept I'm a bluff old traditionalist.

ugly

LE
Drugs and fraud are the most popular reasons women's prisons are full of innocent women!

Hariett isn't happy about the number of short sentences that are handed out which deny the right to family life, unduly affect children and aren't that effective.

Not if you're a man obviously. You deserve jail time. But if you're a woman and a mother who commits a crime it's bad...

For the record I believe that the punishment and rehabilitation system in this country needs shaking up. I just don't think it benefits anyone saying that you can be treated with more leniency if you're a mother.
What a homophobe, what about gay criminals Harriet ?, or is it only PIE you're interested in

Makes a pleasant change from her protecting Islington paedophiles.

Edit: beaten to the nonce comment by Lokiuk. Drat.

Last edited:
Essentially it should say carer of children, that then allows men who have caring responsibilities for children to be considered.

However that would still predominantly apply to women.

This is why women of birthing age always turn up to court pregnant, the old ones have a wheelchair

Interesting wider debate. Familial circumstances should be no shield from the law if you break it.

Witness the riots in northern mill towns a few years back, when many young Pakistani thugs got let off jail because, as they were allegedly only English speakers in their respective households, the rest of the family(ies) would have been disadvantaged by their incarceration.

One would have thought that their families, by dint of culture, would have understood the burden.

On all levels, and applied equally, if you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Wrong leftie (sadly). You're thinking of Tessa Jowell.
I've only just heard about her sad demise.
A brain tumour is the hero of this sad tale.

It must be some consolation to know that that brain tumour is now cancer free.

Latest Threads