Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Gen Tech Electrician

manfat

Swinger
Hello.

Age 26. Looking to finally start a career after working random jobs (mainly order picking temp contracts) past few years.

Can't find much info on GenTechElec job online for some reason. What is the training like? The day to day life of a spark in the raf? Will the quals I get doing this cross over to civvy life? Or should I go for another trade.

I scored pretty well on the AST, qualified for all trades, the guy said I should go Cyberspace comms (said they're desperate in need of them, so probably not a good sign) or Aircraft technician. Thoughts on these trades?
Cheers.

Last edited:
Hello.

Age 26. Can't find much info on the job. What is the training like? The day to day life of a spark in the raf? Will the quals I get doing this cross over to civvy life? Or should I go for another trade.

I scored pretty well on the AST, qualified for all trades, the guy suggested Cyberspace comms (said they're desperate in need of them, so probably not a good sign) or Aircraft technician. Thoughts on these trades?
Cheers.
If you’re concerned about quals crossing over to civvy life, skip the RAF and just become a civvy tech or engineer, easier in the long run. Ex airforce types are a pain to work with since their experience is limited to the airframes they worked on during their service.

Cheers for the answer. I wouldn't just be in it for the quals, I'd like a career at some point. Just want to pick the right trade before I sign up.

Problem with training as a civvy tech or engineer is I can't. At my age I'd have to pay for the training. Living on my own I don't have time and can't afford to spare any money on courses on my basic income.

Cheers for the answer. I wouldn't just be in it for the quals, I'd like a career at some point. Just want to pick the right trade before I sign up.

Problem with training as a civvy tech or engineer is I can't. At my age I'd have to pay for the training. Living on my own I don't have time and can't afford to spare any money on courses on my basic income.
I never served in the RAF, I was a soldier thank fcuk, so I am not familiar with all the trades they have. The one piece of sound advice I can give you is that if you want a job that pays gobs of cash in civvy life, get your NDT qual, it a licence to print money.....

If you’re concerned about quals crossing over to civvy life, skip the RAF and just become a civvy tech or engineer, easier in the long run. Ex airforce types are a pain to work with since their experience is limited to the airframes they worked on during their service.

Not if he goes as a "ground electrician" {EFG}, or whatever they call it nowadays
[it's a long time since I was in, so there's a good chance I'm talking sh*t]

Apart from those who are licensed up the ying yang as a couple of my mates are? Both now Quantas - not an aircraft trade from OP anyhoo

@manfat Go aircraft or cyber
Shortage is because their skills are in demand

I never served in the RAF, I was a soldier thank fcuk, so I am not familiar with all the trades they have. The one piece of sound advice I can give you is that if you want a job that pays gobs of cash in civvy life, get your NDT qual, it a licence to print money.....

Quick google of NDT quals. Lot to read up on. Could you give us a quick rundown of training time, costs, jobs and earnings I could get?

Cheers.

Apart from those who are licensed up the ying yang as a couple of my mates are? Both now Quantas - not an aircraft trade from OP anyhoo

@manfat Go aircraft or cyber
Shortage is because their skills are in demand

Just thought they'd try push me into cyber as it's undermanned. What's the job like? What skills would I get? I imagine I'd just be sat in office all day, which ain't too bad along with the subbed living and meals I'd be making bank. But I could do a job like that in civvy life.

Aircraft tech sounds awesome. I got the scores to go for it on the AST but I'd never considered the job and might struggle in interview as I know fcuk all about aircraft.

Last edited:
Never heard of this. The website just says Electrician

RAF Recruitment | Electrician

When were you in? What did you do?

Cheers.

If it was electrical but stayed on the ground we fixed it
Remember I'm going back some what:)

I left with a HNC, then worked in mining,steel, chemicals and saw mills and a few other things
All three services gave good qualifications at the time I was in, I don't know about now,
My advice is not up todate

Most of the NDT guys I knew when I was in were Riggers (Airframes...metalworkers)

I did 22 years as an Aircraft Electrician...but didn't stop there. Did a bit in College whilst in. A few OND's and HNC's in related Electrical bits and pieces. Consider myself to be an Electrician first, what I'm working on, or with is not an issue.
Added a 2391 Inspection and Testing, Elect Installation when I left, + one or two other bits and pieces.
Now I teach it all.
The one thing about being an Electrician is it's a transferable skill. As for employment after service, I've found nobodies too fussy about what your background is, providing you've got the right tickets. So get in, get trained, get a diploma and get on as many trade courses as you can that'll add strings to your bow.
The thing about Aircraft Avionics is that it's like a mini city; Generators, Motors, Actuators, T.R.U's, Invertors, Frequency Changers, data, Fibre, Distribution, Power, Lighting, Control, Comms, Instruments, Heating... you'll get a bit of everything, whilst other trades will get you a lot of exposure to a few things. That can be key to blagging your way onto courses that weren't really meant for Aircraft Electricians!

It's probably no surprise that 'cyberspace' anything is in demand. That doesn't mean its shite and they can't get joiners, it might have something to do with the Prime Minister and other politicians saying the military needs to do more about 'cyber'.

Just remember this is an army focused website - although the mods try and stop sarcasm on recrutiing threads, this is not the recruiting board.

You may take some banter or someone telling you how much better the Army is. Truth be told, you can probably find a similar trade in all 3 services, but you have to look at the wider way of life and how you are treated day to day.

If it was electrical but stayed on the ground we fixed it
Remember I'm going back some what:)

I left with a HNC, then worked in mining,steel, chemicals and saw mills and a few other things
All three services gave good qualifications at the time I was in, I don't know about now,
My advice is not up todate

Ah fair enough. Cheers for the advice anyway, sounds like you've been about a bit.

Most of the NDT guys I knew when I was in were Riggers (Airframes...metalworkers)

I did 22 years as an Aircraft Electrician...but didn't stop there. Did a bit in College whilst in. A few OND's and HNC's in related Electrical bits and pieces. Consider myself to be an Electrician first, what I'm working on, or with is not an issue.
Added a 2391 Inspection and Testing, Elect Installation when I left, + one or two other bits and pieces.
Now I teach it all.
The one thing about being an Electrician is it's a transferable skill. As for employment after service, I've found nobodies too fussy about what your background is, providing you've got the right tickets. So get in, get trained, get a diploma and get on as many trade courses as you can that'll add strings to your bow.
The thing about Aircraft Avionics is that it's like a mini city; Generators, Motors, Actuators, T.R.U's, Invertors, Frequency Changers, data, Fibre, Distribution, Power, Lighting, Control, Comms, Instruments, Heating... you'll get a bit of everything, whilst other trades will get you a lot of exposure to a few things. That can be key to blagging your way onto courses that weren't really meant for Aircraft Electricians!

Fuckin hell how big is your CV.

Yea I was looking at the avionics technician as well. Looks good. Might go for it. Looks difficult though.
The electrician job is just working on generators and machines used on base like x-ray security and air conditioning by the sounds of the website. RAF Recruitment | Electrician

It's probably no surprise that 'cyberspace' anything is in demand. That doesn't mean its shite and they can't get joiners, it might have something to do with the Prime Minister and other politicians saying the military needs to do more about 'cyber'.

Just remember this is an army focused website - although the mods try and stop sarcasm on recrutiing threads, this is not the recruiting board.

You may take some banter or someone telling you how much better the Army is. Truth be told, you can probably find a similar trade in all 3 services, but you have to look at the wider way of life and how you are treated day to day.

Shit sorry, just seen this was the RAF forum so posted here. Not arsed about the banter.

Suppose, computers are the future. I'm sure it be a secure job and might set me up for future. Not sure if it would be exciting or fulfilling though.

Last edited: