Gen. Schwarzkopf Dies

Discussion in 'US' started by grey_man_2, Dec 28, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News - Norman Schwarzkopf, retired US general, dies aged 78

Clearly this guy had quite some impact on the world, especially in the way GW1 ended (or was put on pause for 12 years, depending on your point of view), but what's peoples opinions of him as a general? Was he good for the soldiers? Genuinely interested, not trying to lead anywhere. He was a little before my time.

2. Very few British military in the Gulf would have had any contact with Gen Schwarzkopf, but many would have heard of him. It is said that he had his disagreements with our Corps commander Gen Frederick M Franks (US) during the ground war, but that is the way of things. I don't think there is much doubt that he did a great job, not least in keeping an unprecedented coalition together.

RIP.

3. He came out with some blinding statements;

-- "As far as Saddam Hussein being a great military strategist, he is neither a strategist, nor is he schooled in the operational arts, nor is he a tactician, nor is he a general, nor is he a soldier. Other than that, he's a great military man, I want you to know that."

4. FORMER_FYRDMAN

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

I'll see your quotation and raise you:

"Going to war without France is like going deer hunting without your accordion." —Norman Schwartzkopf

RIP

5. I only heard today as I was speaking to a friend of mine about the possibility of approaching Gen Swartz for a foreword on my book that I had just brought out, a sad day for his family and America

6. He came across as a proper soldier. If it looked like a turd and it smelled like a turd, then he called it a turd.

I always prefer robust and 'forthright' individuals like him to the quiet, oily schemers.

And never any scandal attached to him and no political ambitions and no CIA murkiness about him. And he liked Brit Forces.

I think I would have enjoyed a few beers with him. Can't say fairer than that. RiP Big Guy.

• Like Like x 1
  7. IIRC, a much younger Norman Schwarzkopf served a couple of tours in Vietnam, at least one as an advisor to ARVN troops. It must have taken some balls to go out on ops when you are twice the size of the average soldier and stick out like a buldog's bollocks - "Hey Nguyen - shoot the big bloke - you can't miss!"

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

As has already been said - a soldier's soldier.

Rodney2q

8. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

His book was a good read. You can still find them around for 99p

I think the French joke has been attributed to everybody from Roosevelt on so I wouldn't get to excited - besides didn't the French Foreign Legion deploy for GW1 and take their embassy back in Kuwait City days before the USMC turned up?

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

9. I like that fact that he personally made the effort to congratulate the members of the Essay Ess for their role in Dessert Storm.

He'd initially been quite sniffy about the supposed efficacy of such a dashing bunch of Limey chaps, but once they'd fucked up old Saddact's SCUDs and got the heck out (somewhat) he was bloody grateful, and showed it, like a bloody good sport!

He will be missed in our hearts and minds, for a jolly good fellow was he!

10. Looks like he saw you coming, nut sack!