Gen Nick Carter - a year in post as CGS. Give us a progress update?

Discussion in 'Staff College and Staff Officers' started by Stonker, Sep 3, 2015.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nope just pointing out the jointery, it does work sometimes.

2. Nope - my missus was, at one point, on a shortlist to work in MERT and she was RNR. E-MERT* was f*cking amazing, and we should be proud of that, but it was one of the 'purple-est' bits of Defence for a very long time.

*The 'E' referring to 'Enhanced', i.e. the Medical Officer

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  3. More than fair enough. Although, I do like to try and keep it real/objective. :)

4. I got the CO to use naughty words about the French once, after I persuaded the Chief Clerk to put the DiHydrogen Monoxide COSSH sheet into Part 1 Orders when we were on exercise in France.

"French training camps typically have systems for transporting DHMO on site. Care should be taken when..."

:twisted: The Devil finds work for idle Ops Officers, but then golf-loving COs shouldn't be scientifically illiterate :twisted:

Next was conspiring with the Adjutant to stitch up the OC Biographies for the VSO in his visitor's instruction; a Captain mate was standing in as Acting OC, his potted bio for the General contained a small note explaining his love of opera and ballet...

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Forgive me H47, I think you misunderstand; my comment was directed at the Duke. MERT was a significant effort on the RAF's part - throwing Med Assists out the back of SH in contact required a SIGNIFICANT cultural shift, so, nuff respec. Although I would suggest the RAF Regt were already in that 'headspace' (SRDG and all that ;-) )

• Like Like x 1
  6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not at all. It is a simple statement of fact acknowledging that MERT is tri-service.

7. Ack'd.

8. Oh don't get me wrong, I'm not offering up the RAF as a paragon of virtue. Wrt you specific issues: Typhoon is big success, Voyager is a good jet but the operating model is pants (and was enforced by Brown), A400 is what you get for pretending to be European, the HERRICK airbridge was, given the ac operating it a success (and despite individual frustrations, point me to a where it failed to deliver the necessary effect). As for Stirrup, a bit odd I'll grant you but what did he do any worse than the others?

• Like Like x 1
  9. Two points:
    1. At that time the defence budget was not delegated to Chiefs, it sat in the tri-service melting pot, which ...
    2. Was completely skewed by HERRICK and TELIC.
    As for expenditure on ground systems, specifically vehicles, nothing got a look in beyond CR2 upgrade, Warrior CSP and FRES.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Caecilius

Caecilius LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I disagree with almost all of that but it's heavily off thread so perhaps let's leave it there.

11. No service has 'best practice', least of all the Army - but absolute ceiling for RAF loggies is 2* with Engineers in an absolute ascendant.

RAF engineers are all that stands between a member of the master race becoming a poorly trained infantryman. That gives them a very significant push when it comes to advancement in a platform based service - almost the same in the Navy.

Lastly, and this won't fit your narrative, but the fact that individuals got delayed on the airbridge is regrettable but hardly operational failure as it was the operational commander that was the 'customer' not the individual - and he was never failed. In my view it was ******* miraculous that anyone got to and from Afghanistan given the parlous state of an institutionally underfunded ATF. We now have the most capable AMF we've ever had - after the campaign we needed it in.

All three Services bear some responsibility for that.

• Like Like x 6
  12. That is one of the best quotes I have ever heard, and is going straight into the back of my notebook for use at future Happy Hours!!

• Like Like x 2