Gen McChrystal pays tribute UK SF

#4
righthandmarker said:
petergriffen said:
No love for the lad's in the SFSG ect? :cry:
Why? He's talking about UKSF.
No reason, thought he singled out the SAS/SBS while there were other unit's involved in the succes of that stuff...I didn't mean to be a dick :oops:
 
#5
or SRR...
 
#6
During an operation at Salman Pak on the outskirts of Baghdad in November 2007, Sergeant John Battersby and Trooper Lee Fitzsimmons of A Squadron were killed when their Puma crashed and rolled over, trapping them underneath the fuselage.

After battling in vain to save their comrades, the survivors continued on to assault the house that was their objective.
Charlie Mike. That is an amazing reflection on the quality and dedication of those soldiers. It's a credit to Britain and western allies.

Not to blow sunshine up anyones rear end, but I'm willing to bet that when the Taliban first thought about being engaged in battle with western forces, they probably thought that they would be fighting soft, weak willed soldiers.

I bet they have had an education.
 
#8
wedge35 said:
alfred_the_great said:
or SRR...
I think the phrase is 'just take the fcuking compliment'...

I mean after all, he is just a dumb, ego-centric etc. etc. Septic after all! :D

Heartfelt and well-deserved kudos to all UK forces in theater, "special" or otherwise.
 
#9
petergriffen said:
No love for the lad's in the SFSG ect? :cry:
I'm sure he means to include the SFSG when he praises the UKSF efforts in Baghdad, can't expect him to mention every unit by name.
In another interview, I recall him saying that he had made the mistake of drinking with a Scottish Paratrooper. So im sure he knows all about the SFSG.

Not sure i'd agree with him when he describes N.I as a British success at COIN. Hopefully he won't compare success in Afghan by the same measure.
 
#10
Circus_Pony said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7506932/Gen-Stanley-McChrystal-pays-tribute-to-courage-of-British-special-forces.html
" Gen McChrystal, who led the highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq, revealed he personally took part in SAS missions to kill those controlling suicide bomb networks in Iraq. "

Is he saying he was second man on the Iraqi balcony :?
 
#11
"" Gen McChrystal, who led the highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq, revealed he personally took part in SAS missions to kill those controlling suicide bomb networks in Iraq. "

Blimey - how long before we start having "Is McChrystal a Walt" threads in the NAAFI bar?
 
#12
Spanny said:
Circus_Pony said:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/7506932/Gen-Stanley-McChrystal-pays-tribute-to-courage-of-British-special-forces.html
" Gen McChrystal, who led the highly secretive Joint Special Operations Command in Iraq, revealed he personally took part in SAS missions to kill those controlling suicide bomb networks in Iraq. "

Is he saying he was second man on the Iraqi balcony :?
Thank-you - made me chuckle.

On topic, credit where credit is due.

SF professionalism is beyond any words i can think of, but without each pioneer, craftie, chef, SFSG member, Rifleman, etc that is behind them they wouldn't be able to do their job so well.

I hope Gen-Stanley-McChrystal knows that.

(& before anyone says it, i happen be very proud of my 'crap-hat'! ;))
 
#13
McChrystals career was mostly assigned to Special Operations. Every thing from Ranger bn, platoon leader to Ranger Regimental Commander and US Special Forces A det Commander(7th Group) to JSOC, Asst Div Cdr 82nd Abn Div, etc.

McCrystal has spent the bulk of his adult life with the professional special operations community and can make informed views on the UKSF.
 
#14
Goldbricker said:
McChrystals career was mostly assigned to Special Operations. Every thing from Ranger bn, platoon leader to Ranger Regimental Commander and US Special Forces A det Commander(7th Group) to JSOC, Asst Div Cdr 82nd Abn Div, etc.

McCrystal has spent the bulk of his adult life with the professional special operations community and can make informed views on the UKSF.
But the question still must be asked of him--Does he know the color of the boathouse at Hereford? :D
 

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
#17

Andy_S

LE
Book Reviewer
#18
Jolly good show and all for the Torygraf to land this high-profile interview, but did they ask about anything other than SF?

I know those three magic letters sells books, newspapers, T-shirts, tatoos and actoin dolls - why, there is even a Swiss airline named after the regiment - but what about the broader British Army contribution in Iraq (then) and in Helmand (now)?

It would have been highly informative to read a real critique of British operations there by the big bossman - rather than the usual:
"A highly placed American military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said of British forces in theater, that they are...
- Defeated
- Useless
- Not what they once were
- Surprisingly poor at COIN operations
- Pulling their weight
- Surprisingly proficient at COIN operations
- Our finest allies
- Deadly bastards to a man
- Well on the way to victory
(Choose whichever suits your editorial direction.)
 
#19
Andy_S said:
Jolly good show and all for the Torygraf to land this high-profile interview, but did they ask about anything other than SF?

I know those three magic letters sells books, newspapers, T-shirts, tatoos and actoin dolls - why, there is even a Swiss airline named after the regiment - but what about the broader British Army contribution in Iraq (then) and in Helmand (now)?

It would have been highly informative to read a real critique of British operations there by the big bossman - rather than the usual:
"A highly placed American military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said of British forces in theater, that they are...
- Defeated
- Useless
- Not what they once were
- Surprisingly poor at COIN operations
- Pulling their weight
- Surprisingly proficient at COIN operations
- Our finest allies
- Deadly bastards to a man
- Well on the way to victory
(Choose whichever suits your editorial direction.)
But thats not the point that McCrystal was making because he wouldn't necessarily know what was going on down in Basra; because he was based in Baghdad as head of JSOC. I don't believe McCrystal has operated in Afghanistan recently so therefore any 'wisdom' he would impart would merely be well-informed speculation. This article was merely on the SF aspect of Brit operations, which McCrystal was the overall CO within the Coalition structure. All of this is covered in detail and more (if it flicks your switch) in Mark Urban's Task Force Black. Not your usual Andy McRyan book.

You want to ask Petraeus those questions.
 
#20
Andy_S said:
Jolly good show and all for the Torygraf to land this high-profile interview, but did they ask about anything other than SF?

I know those three magic letters sells books, newspapers, T-shirts, tatoos and actoin dolls - why, there is even a Swiss airline named after the regiment - but what about the broader British Army contribution in Iraq (then) and in Helmand (now)?

It would have been highly informative to read a real critique of British operations there by the big bossman - rather than the usual:
"A highly placed American military source, speaking on condition of anonymity, said of British forces in theater, that they are...
- Defeated
- Useless
- Not what they once were
- Surprisingly poor at COIN operations
- Pulling their weight
- Surprisingly proficient at COIN operations
- Our finest allies
- Deadly bastards to a man
- Well on the way to victory
(Choose whichever suits your editorial direction.)
You forgot scruffy.

Nice of him to recognise the specific contribution of British SF, considering he is not only an american, but is i/c ISAF. They've done us credit.
 

Similar threads

Latest Threads

Top